Laptop display problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jakamoko, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

I was given a laptop today to have a look at - except I can't !

The display is seemingly dud - right from initial POST and into Windows (98 ). I've included Jak-cam thumbnails of what it looks like, rather than try and explain it. But that's the only thing that appears onscreen at anytime - the machine functions perfectly fine otherwise (boots into Windows, or to floppy just fine)

I guess it looks like the internal connection from the mobo to the TFT, and as soon as I get a chance, I'm going to hook it up to a monitor to see what it does then.

Also, although I haven't really looked inside (never actually worked inside a laptop), clearly someone else has tried to - there's at least one missing screw on the back of the case.

So has anyone ever encountered anything along these lines, and also, can you give me some general tips/ advice for working inside laptops ?

It's a non-branded notebook that appears to be a machine worth trying to repair at least (not least for a few £££ for me !) If you need any more info, just ask.

Many thanks in advance :D

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

It does look a little messed up there mate. Let us know how you get on with an external monitor. As for working inside laptops, I have done a very small amount, all I could suggest regarding the above video problem is check the ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the TFT matrix.

Keep us informed

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Based on the pics there Jak, I would say goodbye to the video card. I had a similar problem at home when all I had was an old video card and was trying to install for the first time. The display was very similar to your pics until I put in a new card.

I hope it's just the connections that might have come a bit unstuck though.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks Guys - it will be tomorrow when I get a chance to do any real work on it, so I'll keep you informed then :D

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hooked it up to my monitor just then, and bad news - exact same display there too. So that at least confirms that its not the actual display.

I'll have a brief look inside and check connections, etc, but if it doesn't spring back to life easily, I'll just need to return it to the Guy and make no magic beans on this one :(

Unless you guys have any better ideas ? :rolleyes:

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup, the problem with laptops is that most things are all on one board, the so called system board and therefore if you have a hardware failure like this video output problem you seem to have Jak then you have to replace the entire PCB. This usually costs lots of magic beans and unless the lappy is really cool, probably make more sense to bin it and buy a new one.

I want a lappy with blue LEDs, I think that is the definition of cool, I like cocky blue LEDs 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think the only reason we get into IT is to play with blinky lights and push buttons that really work. :P

Certifications: A+ and Network+