Landed Junior IT Technician Role!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Parksy81, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Hiya guys just thought I would post my experience over the last 4 months!!!!

Well I've always been messing with computers, small networks, repairing friends/families pc's etc!! Did a couple of GNVQ I.T courses in sixth form, almost 10 years ago now!! I was not working in the I.T sector but some machines I worked on were PC based, and I decided this is what I wanted to do.

I got fed up of my old job, going nowhere so left and starting temping in an office. After a couple of weeks I decided to take a jump and signed on to do the A+ essentials at a local college, a 10 week course!

I applied for a few IT jobs but nothing came of it, but after the 10 weeks, passed my A+, updated my CV and WHAM! Applied for a IT role and hey presto, job starting on monday!!

Dont get my wrong Im nervous as hell but Im starting my new career in the IT industry, and it was only the fact I had the A+ on my CV that I got the job, irrespect of previous experience repairing comuters!!

The bottom line is, if you want it go grab it!!

Cheers guys, Oh any advice would be great, the company has around 20 users in the office, 6 servers and around 40 users out on different sites with laptops!! As well as GPRS mobiles linked directly to the inhouse database!

Ta

Certifications: A+
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Congrats and well done !

Hope you make the most of it and go on to bigger and better things

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Not always true as you dont want to be on harrasment charges ;)

Seriously well done, and good luck in your new role :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Well done on the new job, only real advice is to pay attention to what they say maybe write stuff down or keep a couple of word docs full of advice\commands etc. I still use my hints file for things that we don't do too often so I kinda forget them if they are not in the file.

Try and get a good well rounded idea of what goes on in the company that way you will quickly find the direction that interests you most for your career path.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats:) and I'd yield to advice by dales.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

congrats :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the new job :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations on the new job!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's how it's done! Major congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. mickaveli2001

mickaveli2001 Byte Poster

Congradulations, Sounds really good to get a junior spot with just A+ (and of course previous hands on experience) hope it's a good job

Certifications: NC Communication/Computing
    WIP: A+
  11. burchie

burchie Bit Poster

congrats on new job. out of intreast how did you find the position. website local paper??????

Certifications: a+ n+
    WIP: mcdst, mcse
  12. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

good for you

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Much congratulations :)

Go show 'em how it's done!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. Carlsberg Wordsworth

Carlsberg Wordsworth Bit Poster

Well done mate.

I went for a Junior/ trainee back last November with just the A+ and whilst it got me the interview I didn't get it. Home experience was ok as well but still. Have applied for it everytime it comes up (which seems to be every 3 months or so) but don't ever hear back. Must have made a good impression lol although I thought interview went well.

Still, again well done. Hey, hope it wasn't the same post :biggrin

Certifications: A+ Certified
  16. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Hiya guys thanks for all your replies!!

As far as finding the post I searched through newspapers and web sites, usual canditaes, jobcentre etc But I found this role off Gumtree, within a week of sending my cv off they had my signature on the contract lol

Starting to get nervous now but its the step I had been needing!

Certifications: A+
  17. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Try and write down everything you learn and gradually build up a knowledgebase of hints, solutions, workarounds, procedures, and so on.

18. rodman

rodman New Member

congrats mate

Certifications: Access to ICT
  19. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Congratulations for getting your foot in the door mate :D

WIP: MCDST