landed a job at last!!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by grizz3210, Mar 18, 2008.

1. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

nothing in writing i was chasing all this week and told it was fine if they had doubts about it they didn't tell me

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Before anyone else says anything else, can you tell us how this job was offered to you?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

yes sure

agent got me interview with the company a couple of days after the interview the agent rang me up told me the i was being offered the job on condition that i could start on the 24th.

i checked with my boss who said he had no problems with me finishing a week early.

i rang back the agent and told them i would be accepting the job she said that that company would email me the offer that day.

as i had not got the email by 4:30 on the monday i rang the agent who said the person who would be doing the email is really busy but will do it as soon as he can but she had spoken him that day and everything was fine.

i rang the agent every day this week to find out about the letter and got the same story.

then today happened.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Wow! That's terrible. Talk about having the rug pulled out from under you.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

With this contract, would you have been paid by the agency or by the company?

6. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

it would have been a full time permanent job with the company paying me.

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ok in my opinion, unless you had received a written confirmation of the offer, I would say there is no recourse.

Even if you were being made redundant on the 28th I would have waited until I had the written offer then told my current employer.

When they were stalling with the offer letter, that would have got the alarm bells ringing.

I'm sorry that this has happened.

8. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

i have to agree with you there.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That sucks dude :x I hope something turns up soon.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. pjread

pjread New Member

You know there's a big old MS campus in Reading, I've heard they're in to IT ;)

If the commute to London is do-able for you there are always opportunities for entry-level servicedesk jobs somewhere on the tube map.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCAS
    WIP: MCITP:EA and SA, considering CEH
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, that sucks. And with no offer letter, there is no recourse. My condolences. :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's sad as often times the agency has no job but interviews you at one of their client site acting like they're all that. I had a similar situation but luckily I did not hand in my notice as I did not receive written contracts from them.

After a week they rang me to say client pulled offer back owing to financial reasons, and oh that was five years ago and still in the year 2008 same pranks. I still think a lot of IT recruitment agencies are sadly speaking a waste of precious human time.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear it...
    Pretty lame on the agency and the company's part. :dry

You may not have much, but do you have anything in writing (email, letter, voice mail, ...) from the agency? Even a random email saying everything is good for the start day? You may want to consult an employment lawyer. At the very least you might be able to get the 2-weeks pay that you're losing.