Landed a desktop engineer role...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kraven, Jan 30, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done Kraven and nice to know you're getting on okay. I suppose you can have fun because can assure you it would get a lot more intense:) with time.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Sounds great! Keep us posted.:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Final day of the week, I ghosted the rest of the machines that are going to be rolled out on Monday. For the rest of the day I just sat around doing nothing as the person who I've shadowed all week had the day off.

My team leader didnt allocate me with any of the other techs so I was very bored. I still didnt feel confident enough to go out by myself as the place is massive.

Anybody working in desktop support, how long did you shadow until you were let lose on your own?

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It is the first week of your Desktop Engineering (2nd line) role so being intimidated is natural. Depending on the size and company policies I’d say after 2-3 weeks you’ll be able to take on smaller tasks without supervision. Most importantly enjoy the job and responsibilities. Looks like you’re on your way… :)

5. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Hi Sunn dunno if you misread the previous but this is a 2nd line role (IT tech) not a helpdesk role. My previous job was a helpdesk role. 2 - 3 weeks sounds ok if you was linking that to the IT tech role rather than a helpdesk role.

Thanks
    Kraven

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

About the boredom part - something I did when I joined the desktop team, if I could shadow my designated person, I would ask another engineer if I could follow them - for my first month instead of doing 150 hours I did nearer 200, just following engineers on different calls.

Employers may be watching if you don't think outside the box to find someone else to follow - just a thought (and saves you getting bored! 8) )

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I thought about asking other engineers, should of done it now. Will definetly get asking this week.

Was you shadowing for around a month then derkit when you first started a desktop support role?

Thanks
    Kraven

8. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Not for the entire first month, I guess I was "let-out" on my own pretty much straight away, but if there was a task or problem that I didn't understand I was forever asking (gave up trying to keep my pride I'd have never learnt anything!). If I wasn't busy, and one of the other engineers were (there were 6 of us) I would ask if they wanted a hand or if I could shadow them - especially if it was one I had never heard of before or knew the solution to.

I think I did this for at least the first 3 months or so.

When I reached a point that I didn't need to shadow any more, I still participate in chats in the office about particular problems and their solutions - again, if I didn't know about it, I wanted to.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

My mistake... (don't know why I was thinking helpdesk) :oops:
    You got the idea though, thanks for reading between the lines :dry