labs

Discussion in 'Network+' started by mazzaman, Jun 4, 2007.

1. mazzaman

mazzaman New Member

Hi all

Studying for the N+, self study stylee. I'm thinking about investing in a home lab so I can put into practice what I learn.

What I would like to know is what would be a good lab setup for a guy going through N+?

At the mo I have my current rig and a laptop. I like using VMware/VPC so I'm thinking that will be a big help, but I think if I really want to get my hands dirty I will need a couple more machines maybe.

I was thinking just building a couple of cheap desktops and networking everything up.

Do you think I should get a some hubs and routers to play with, just using a wireless router at the moment.

Man this is geeky.....I LIKE:p

Any advice would be great

Cheers 8)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You shouldn't need to play around too much with routers at the N+ level but at least one switch would be nice (almost no one uses hubs anymore...switches are just as cheap and have more functionality. Although the N+ expects you to know what a subnet is, you don't have to know how to configure one, so you shouldn't need a router unless you really want the exercise.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mazzaman,

Unfortunately, in order to "get [your] hands dirty" you will have to NOT use VMWare/VPC.

Start off by creating a Microsoft workgroup between two Microsoft client operating systems. Connect them with a cross-over cable.

Post back when you've got that working. :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Certainly use several devices and the windows tools to network a couple of pc's together. N+ will test you 'core' knowledge of networking, not specific utilities like VMWARE (though it does no harm to know a little about the in the first place). You are going to learn a little about several other platforms too, so don't forget there are more places to visit than 'Planet Microsoft!' and be open minded to learning about NetWare and Macintosh networking too. these will appear on your exam without any doubt. I didn't use any labs as such, though I do network devices through my job so in a way I took my studying to work with me. You will be learning a lot about how routers do the routing thing and the different devices used to create,manipulate and administer a network but this only really goes as deep as the need to know,if you get my meaning. Routing is an amazingly expansive subject if you REALLY want to get into it, but for the purpose of your N+ cert you will learn the basics, which is far from basic,lol. Good luck with your N+ and keep us in the loop as you study.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. mazzaman

mazzaman New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

I only mentioned VMware just for the configuration side of things, within different operating systems.

I will invest in a switch and probably build another machine too.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you all informed as I go.8)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Cool, good Idea. Will try this. I guess my network+ training starts this weekend:D

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA