Kindle for IT textbooks

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by thetokyoproject, Apr 29, 2022.

1. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Hi Folks, I'm looking for a good Kindle or similar device to read IT textbooks. I used to own a small kindle which is great for novels, but can someone recommend a decent device that would make reading IT textbooks a good experience. Thank you.

Certifications: 271
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I hear they got this new technique, they glue parchments together, they call it a book...

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

You are possibly best off looking for a tablet in that respect or using the kindle cloud reader with the reading mode enabled

Kindles are great, but not for IT books that rely on a lot of images etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ageed I think Kindle sucks for educational / reference books. I much prefer physical.

Failing that I'd just use online resources, blogs, CBT, videos, etc. Get a bigger monitor or an additional monitor.

Laptop with matte display works in some situations, but mostly I then do CBT, as I don't like reading books off a screen in general.

$30 is a small price to pay to have something readable that doesn't take up my screen.

Only issue is if going on holiday and want to read a lot and travel light, in which case a kindle is fine for non referenece books. IT or Engineering books are generally too large to travel with.