Killer CV

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by aceahmed, Dec 12, 2007.

1. aceahmed

aceahmed Bit Poster

Hey guys and gals, I was just browsing through some 1st line helpdesk jobs , and it hit me. I was sat there wondering why I wasn't getting any replies or feedback from any of the employers whose jobs I applied for. Since I got my A+ back in november 2006. I was just applying for jobs. Then like a lightning it struck me, maybe my CV never makes it past the selection process or even better maybe my CV never makes past the first glance and just gets binned instantly.
    I know I did change it around a lot , but I still have a feeling that its not eye catching for the recruiters. So I thought before I seek some professional help and fork out a bit of $$££ , I will ask you guys.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, N+ , CCNA
    WIP: 70-620 , 70-623
  2. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Few things;

How about you try not to make yourself sound like you're using this forum as a free service. Show some respect.

How about you leave a copy of your CV, either pasted or linked so that we can look at it.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  3. aceahmed

aceahmed Bit Poster

Dave , I wasn't tryin to disrespect any1, I appologise to all members of this CF if it came out that way. What i really meant is can you guys offer some help b4 I seek it professionally knowing the fact that most of you would be able to help. So its more a compliment than an insult.

Anyways this is my CV have a look and let me know.

Personal Details

xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx :D

Professional Profile
    I am A Versatile and Adaptable Professional with a breadth of knowledge in Computers and network Fundamentals, and excellent customer focused skills and the ability to work either individually, or as a part of a team. I have recently Passed the CCNA INTRO Exam and I am currently studying the next part of it to complete my CCNA Certification. I am also studying Microsoft’s Certified Network Associate course.

Objectives

I am now looking for a new and challenging position which will make best use of my computer skills and also enable further personal and professional development.

SKILLS

Good Knowledge Of Computers anywhere from Building computers, Installing Hardware and Software and upgrading systems to fault finding and troubleshooting PC problems.
    Good knowledge of network installations, networking media, topologies and protocols. Good Windows XP Skills.
    Good TCP/IP Troubleshooting skills and BroadBand Installations.
    Great Customer Service and organisational skills. Excellent telephone manner.
    Good basic experience of Cisco router and switch configurations. Back ups of Cisco IOS Images and restorations. Configring IP Addresses on ports and excellent Subnetting knowledge.

Qualifications

High School Certificate

Static Guard Level1 Security Certificate
    Conflict Management Certificate
    Customer Care Certificate

COMPTIA A+ Certification
    Exam 220-301 A+ Core Hardware
    Exam 220-302 Operating Systems Technologies

COMPTIA Network +
    Exam N10-003

CCNA INTRO Pass
    640-821

Work History

1: Employer: Logistical Recruitment
    Address: Old Trafford, Manchester
    Duration: From 10/2003 to 11/2003

This was an agency job and was based on doing different jobs in different locations. The main duties involved working in a warehouse environment, and carrying out work such as packaging, mail sorting, loading and unloading of goods.

2: Employer: The Corps
    Address: Osprey House, Salford Quays
    Duration: From 08/2004 to 07/2005

3: Employer: Reliance Security
    Address: Adamson House, Pomona Strand, Trafford Park
    Duration: From 08/2005 to 02/2006

4: Employer: G4S
    Address: Unit 4 Ibis court, Warrington
    Duration: From 03/2006 to 09/2006

In jobs 2, 3 and 4, I worked as a Security Officer and the main duties involved being the first line of contact for Customers, doing Reception Duties, CCTV Monitoring, Access Control and Lock ups, Writing Incident Reports and Radio communications.

5: Employer PC Callout LTD
    Address Suite 401, Langham House London
    Duration Start of 2007 to 24/02/07

Main duties on bookings are, Installing operating systems, Hardware and Software. Troubleshooting hardware, software and operating system problems. Installing broadband internet and setting up a small network with few PC’s and Network printer to connect to the internet VIA a hardware firewall. Installing and uninstalling software.Troubleshooting connection problems.

6: Employer AFC Group
    Address Olivier House, 28/29 Bridgeman Tce, Wigan
    Duration From 26/02/07 to 02/05/07

Main Duties included patrolling shop floor, CCTV Monitoring and deterring thieves.

Personal Attributes

I am honest , reliable, hard working and energetic. I am a fast learner and can adapt to changes.

Personal Interests
    I like to keep fit by exercising in the gym 4-5 times a week, I am a sports person, I like watching football and wrestling. I like to keep up with technology via the Internet and magazines.

References will be provided upon request.

4. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

it needs more work, for starters what's with all the capital letters ? Reading your CV doesn't give me much understanding of who you really are. you need to add more into your skills and personal interests and less on your previous jobs, try to summarise them because they are taking up too much space.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  5. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

First thing that hits me is the profile AND is not the only word in the dictionary :) If i was reading this as a personell or IT manager i would bin it simply for that.

That is effectively your first sentence, whilst i can see what you are trying to do it is too much in a single sentence. You could split it down and try...
    I am a versatile and Adaptable Professional ,with a breadth of knowledge in Computers and network Fundamentals. I have excellent customer focused skills and work well as either part of a team or on my own initiative.

Im not very good with wording however this is not a good sentence, excellent that you have passed your intro to CCNA :) however and I am currently studying the next part of it to complete my CCNA Certification is an extremely bad wording and to be honest sounds wrong (especially the bold part)

I would also try to steer away from storytelling.
    Its very easy to tell your lifes tales, i went here and did this and it was fun and then i went to this place for this reason, oh by the way while i was there i did this and this and met such and such who taught me........ (most people stopped reading this after the first 3 words)

Theres a lot of your job history that isnt specified, you tell us where you were but not what you did? The latest job you did should be the most relevant and therefore should have the most information in it, this is usually what sells you. You show progression and how much responsibility you had in the last job.

Ok some things i did with my CV...

Wrote down my previous employments,
    Bullet point listed all the task and responsibilities i had to do.
    --theres more than you think, for example someone who checks a backup has run ok the night before would probably not think to put that on there CV, however this is a massive task as if the backups fail your company could be up the proverbial creek, your responsible for information integrity

Tried to ensure that there is at least progress between my current/last job and the last/one before last job, shows you learn and progress in your IT career and knowledge.

Other pointers..

Always make it at least 2 pages long (if you can),
    Try not to use half or part filled pages it looks wrong and employers dont like it.
    The first page should have your profile, key skills and possibly last job on it,, employers can always go onot the second page for further history if they are interested in you.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  6. aceahmed

aceahmed Bit Poster

thanks for the feedback guys, I thought there was something gravely wrong with this CV to the point I didn't feel like applying for a job until I changed it.
    I am going to browse the net for some great cv's out there, and rebuild my Cv from scratch.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You might want to concentrate on your experience skills set as well as use bullet points. In my own humble opinion don't think you need a profile section on your CV and have been told this by several recruiters.

Lastly, remember your CV is a marketing tool so make sure it gets you the attention you want by putting your work history immediately after your name and address. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Personally, I include a brief statement at the top of my cv, but I dont include personal interests/hobbies. Employers arent interested in what I do in my spare time, only what I do in theirs. If they want to ask me what I like to do in my spare time during the interview, I'm more than happy to.

I also edited my Job description of my most recent job, placing much more weight on relevant responsibilities, and mentioning less about the areas that werent relevant. Additional to that, I removed any jobs that didnt have any relevance to the job I was applying for (Although its important to include a statement along the line of 'A Full employment record can be provided on request' - otherwise they might think you were out of work during that time).

Outside of my personal statement at the beginning of my CV, I try to avoid personal pronouns (? - is that the right phrase?), like "I did", "I worked", etc. I keep to a third person narrative in my CVs. I also give a brief description of the job, and then list my responsibilities in bulleted form.

Personally, I wouldnt include your previous job addresses. Employers arent interested in it, and if they want contact details for references, they will ask for it separately. Its a waste of space to include it, and just clutters things. You should also include your job description on each job you list. So your Employment Record would look something like:
    I would also refrain from doing what you did with jobs 2/3/4. If you list a job, you should list a description under the job itself. Dont try to bundle three or four into a single description. Employers dont want to have to hunt around your CV for information on a job, they just want to look at the particular job, and see what you did in it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

No problem man, no offense taken. I just thought I'd point out that the way in which you came across was a bit "using" :p

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree here, you need to fill it out a bit.

Bullet points are a very good way to outline your skills.

I would also say you do not need to have every single job you have ever had on you cv.

My CV starts with (after my name and address etc) my current job and objectives/tasks that I have to perform in Bullet points, it then has my last job in the same format after which I have put other employment details can be given upon request.

Next I have my IT skills, then other non IT related skills, then my educational background.

Since I made my CV with Bullet points etc I have always had feedback from a job I have applied and 3 out of 4 I have had interviews although I didnt get the jobs :cry:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?