Keep an Objective View Chaps!!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by BlueKnight42, Feb 22, 2006.

1. BlueKnight42

BlueKnight42 New Member

I've read through a lot of these topics and, first of all I'm not in anyway connected to ICS/Appreanta, other then to say I am starting a course with them in 2 weeks.

The negative points people have mentioned seem like they have come from a handful of people who for some reason feel like they have to push the blame onto someone else because the career plan didn't do according to their ideals.

The most striking point was when when one person (can't find the link I'm afraid) who said that in the coffee breaks the trainers huddled together and didn't answer technical questions, and if they did chat it was on a casual level. Well, the trainers do need breaks as well you know. Its also a legal requirement, so don't get all het up just because they are having time off for a drink.

There also seem to be people who think that they will gain MCAD or MCSD qualifications without having to work. You are misleading yourselves. Like any training from the age of 18 onwards you have to do the majority of the work yourself. To pass an NCSD you will have to work very hard, it won't come to you on a plate.

I'm not interested in their job promises, but, whatever you want from the course, like everythin in life, you will get from it what you put in. Passing an MCSD by having it handed to you on a plate will get you thrown out of a company within a week.

Many people seem disgruntled, for whatever reason, but, looking at this site objectively, no one has convinced me the company is doing anything differently to any of the other training organizations.

2. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

A lot of the problems seem to stem from the companys sales people :dry

I work in a call center (not related to IT btw), and a lot of the agents here who work the phones are unbelievably arrogant and really do lie just to get a sale to meet their targets.

Sometimes I also think that people only hear what they want to hear .. which causes problems later on.

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

BlueKnight,

Let us know how you get on with your training provider. You are correct that it is usually the people who think that things are handed to them on a plate that tend to be the more vocal.

It is often very nice to hear stories to the contrary.

8)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I may have said that, I'm not sure without a link and out of context but it was the case on my courses. As for it being a legal requirement to stop talking to the students and have a coffee break well that is nonsense. Sue me for asking an Instructor a question during a break if you wish. Personally I love discussing networking at any time of the day or evening. I do not need breaks.

It was my experience that asking questions during the classes rarely happened because of the pace of the courses and because the students either didn't have time to formulate a good question or they were too embarrassed to raise their hands. So, the feedback from the tutors was not as informative as it could have been, in or out of the lessons.

Good luck on your course, being positive will ensure your success 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

As an instructor myself I think its a bit much to be asked to give up my break because a student won't ask a question in class time.

Fair enough if I choose to, but if the stuednts expectation is that I will, tough! Anyone who's ever stood up and trained for a day at a time knows how mentally tiring it is and how the voice tires also. I coffee break is a must. That said I'm generally available for a few minutes, but I make it clear (by edging to the door if necessary) that this is my time and I remain by my leave.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  6. BlueKnight42

BlueKnight42 New Member

No, no, what I meant was that all employees have a legal right to have a break, especially when it comes to computers. What I am saying is that trainers are allowed a coffee break, and if they decide to talk shop then that's a bonus to you, but they have no obligation to do so.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Okay Clyde has spoken and he knows best. You win :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

i went to my first 2 day in house training with computeach a few months ago (about to go on my second one soon) and the guy who was training us, alan i think his name was, was more than happy to chat to us and answer any questions that we had during the coffee break.

some people weren't even asking questions to do with the actual lessons. they were asking all sorts of questions about different programming languages and getting jobs and alsorts. he was always helpful.

it's often the case that when your out of the classroom environment and you have a bit of space these questions suddenly leap out of your brain in full clarity

9. BlueKnight42

BlueKnight42 New Member

I agree, but if you manage to ask he same questions in the classroom AFTER the break then everyone else can get the benefit of the answer!

10. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

not sure how to take this reply *G*...

I think its fair to say most trainers are happy to answer some questions after class, but would also like to take a break from it all. Remember, students can fall asleep, doze, daydream etc, but trainers cant... they need their rests bless 'em...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP