kbps?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by nugget, Mar 5, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was wondering how do you convert kbps into kb?

Divide by 8? For example, if I got adsl at 600 kbps, what would that work out to?

I've looked in my books but nothing was mentioned and I don't really want to go chasing all over the net. :oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

errr mmm

:oops:

you dont they are totally diffrent things!

one is speed the the other is size

But others may know better...

3. Mark

Mark Bit Poster

Do you mean KBps, as in Kilo Byte, you're right just divide by 8.

8 bits in a byte.

Be careful to distinguish between capital B for BYTE and lower case b for bit and always capital K for Kilo.

HTH

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA+M, MCSE:2000
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the replies. Sandy, I know that they are different but I'm trying to figure out how much information gets transmitted per second and if its worth me getting an ADSL connection.

Does this make sense:
    current connection speed: 37.2 Kbps (37200 bits)
    Kb per second: 37200/8=4650 /1024=4.5 KB per second ? :confused3

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Japes

Japes Bit Poster

Hi

as Sandy said the 2 are for different things.

kbps stands for kilo bits per seconds ie 1kbps is 1000 bits sent/recieved in 1 second on a modem (based on a decimal count).
    Kb stands Kilo bytes and is 1024 bytes of data stored on a hard disk/memory (based on a binary count).

You messure modem/network/ADSL speeds in kbps and you messure disk capacity in kb (or GB these days :)). the two sound similar but are different.

If your using a modem at 37kbps then going to ADSL at 256kpbs (or higher) is a no brainer.

HTH

PS going to post in new user forum now :lol: