Just upgraded my

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Oct 11, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

monitor. About 6 months ago my old 19" NEC CRT went belly up. It was a good monitor, but after 6 years of use I can't say that I didn't get my moneys worth out of it. I've been using a 17" NEC since then. A nice monitor with accurate color, but really small. Today, well I got my new monitor in that I ordered from NewEgg.

I took a gamble on a Chimei 22" LCD(model# CMV 221D) for $235 and it seems to have paid off, at least for now anyway. We will see how long it lasts. It has some bleed through on the top and bottom, but so does my laptop monitor, and it doesn't affect display quality, so I can't really gripe about that. It's clear, tack sharp, and fast, plus it's nice and bright. It's so bright I had to turn down the brightness by about 40%, so there is a lot of headroom left if this thing ever starts to dim. They say most LCD monitors won't work at anything other than their optimal settings, but this thing even displays very nicely at 1024x768. Yeah, there's some distortion because the screen format is different than the resolution settings when working at that screen resolution, but everything isn't all fuzzy even at that far below it's optimal 1680x1050 resolution. Wish my KVM switch would take DVI connections, but oh, well.

All-in-all, I don't think I could have gotten a better value for the money, if it holds up. That was the main complaint from the NewEgg reviews, but even then they were only about 3-4% of the total reviews so that's a pretty good quality control for the price. I'll probably know in a week or so as the negative reviews said their problems showed up after about that much use.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I used to work with TVs and Monitors and always found regardless of whether your TV/monitor was LCD or Plasma it always helped to prolong the life of the set by reducing brightness/contrast as far as you can.

Should always be40-60% for plasma TVs as burn in can happen within a few hours if not monitored carefully, with LCDs I found 40% to be adequate as this helps the back light adjust to a regular picture.

Sounds like you got a good deal. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one Freddy.. i too have used and sold many Chimei LCD monitors. I have had my 19" widescreen for well over a year now and it is still excellent. When i compare it to brand new ones, it is obvious that some of it's initial sparkle has diminished, as this just happens over time. All in all, i would say they are excellent value for money.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats! Sounds like a good value!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!