Just started my mcse studies, working on 70-270 first.

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Howie, May 9, 2005.

1. Howie

Howie New Member

Hi all, just thought I would make my first post to what seems a nice friendly community. Just started my self study MCSE. I am working on exam 70-270 first. I have the Microsoft Press books, and have set up my small network to practice on. Up to chapter 4, but I am guessing this will be the easiest exam. Not really looking forward to a few of the others. Just got to the point in the book where it discuses the TCP/IP protocol suite layers... nasty... But the book is getting back on track with some nice practice stuff.

Does anyone have any good advice for someone just starting off on the self study route?

2. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I am basicly doing the same as you, but just about to do the 3rd exam, and the one thing I wished I learnt absolutly, off by heart, with eyes shut is the OSI model. I had a working knowledge of it etc, but you really need a complete indeapth 'dream about it in your sleep' knowledge!
    Jamin.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  3. Howie

Howie New Member

Thanks for the tip.... Is that important in the 70-270 XP exam? I am hoping to book my first exam for 3 weeks time..... :blink

4. Jamin.

Jamin. Nibble Poster

Hi,
    Not so much for 70-270, but it features strongly in 70-291 / SY0-101 / real life, I think that you need to get a good handle on this ASAP and then add to it with the training, not learn it as part of the training.
    I have the top part of this -
    http://www.thecertificationhub.com/networkplus/the_osi_ref_model.htm
    Printed and stuck up everywhere - in my study, office, toilet, bedroom! , and read it when ever I pass. I just wish I could have done this sooner as it would make everything alot easyer to understand.
    Jamin.

Certifications: MCSA: Security! GCSE Nautical studies
    WIP: On a break.
  5. Howie

Howie New Member

Thats a great help, thanks. I have printed it out for my office wall.