Just started MCDST via CBT Nuggets

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by paulwatson5, Feb 20, 2011.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Hi all.

I have the CBT Nuggets CD which includes all video's for the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. Its much easier than reading the whole MS Press book and is split into 30-60 minute chapters which is ideal for daily revision.

Hope to do an hour a day and get this cert before it retires as i plan to register as self employed in the summer and be Microsoft Certified before i do this.

Big up CBT Nuggets, its great!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
    Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

When I study for a cert I read the books first and make notes. After this the CBT videos helps to consolidate what I have read. In my opinion, don't skip the books if you can as it may give you some extra tips and knowledge that the videos miss out.

Good luck in the exam. 8)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  3. AjP

AjP Bit Poster

I would go the other way CBT nuggets for initial review, Book to consolodate knowledge and read up on Topics you need more explaination on. Then the Question CD with the book to Test yourself

I guess it depends on your leaning style

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682, MCITP
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

I find the videos explain things better that in the book i dont fully understand! altho it would be nice to sit and just watch videos i think the book is the best resource!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. Johnny

Johnny New Member

I find it easier to learn via video, too - just looking at how big both MS books are is a bit off-putting. But a combination of both should solidify the stuff we're learning.

I'm starting the MCDST today and planning to study the A+ and N+ after I pass these two exams. I just hope I'm ready for both exams by the end of June. 8)

6. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I read the books then watch the nuggets to recap. I dont think I would have passed with just the nuggets, there is not enough detail in them.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Never reply on one source of study as simply it won't include everything and may be out of date or certain areas lacking that need to be reinforced by another study aid. I found the MS books great for the MCDST and I think I used a Exam Cram for them as well.

Personally I tend to view videos if using them first and then read books afterwards but as pointed out everyone is different.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Thanks for all your comments, all much appreciated.
    I started yesterday after delaying and delaying but i done the first video (30 mins) last night and the 2nd video today (again 30 mins). I'm going to do at least 1 video per day and make good notes on each video.

Am i right in thinking the notes i should be taking are for example.... minimum spec for installing windows xp is xyz...

You can only upgrade to windows xp pro from the following operating systems.

I presume its a multiple choice exam??

I'm going to watch the rest of the 70-271 video's then read through the chapters of the book that i think i need extra help.

Is this the best way to tackle these exams??

Thanks!!!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It took me 1 month to do the 70-271 and 5 weeks to do the 272. I only used the books.

Make notes on things you will forget and things that you need to make stick.

You will probably need to see some things written down such as how to calculate a users effective permissions and how to share resources and how you access a shared recourse from the run box and all the different types of permissions like local user, NTFS and printer permissions.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. AjP

AjP Bit Poster

I had the 271 book for over a year and didn't really look at it, the thickness alone just put me off. I found the nuggets gave me a kick start on the learning process; I booked the exam with about a month to learn the material. With the videos, I made notes on anything that sounded important and reviewed things like calculation steps in the book, see greeenbrucelees post above for examples.

The most invaluable resource for me was probably the Test CD that came with the book. Once I had reviewed the material, I used a Custom Practice test with 10 questions a time to rapidly review the topics and questions. This got me used to the unusual "scenario" question format where you need to pull all the relevant information from the question. It also allowed me to identify places where I was weak and also the kind of answers that were required (I think everyone would agree that the questions, unsurprisingly, show a bias towards XP showing off features whenever possible)

As has been mentioned in another post KB916525 and KB890368 list corrections to the 70-271 book and CD ROM

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682, MCITP