Just over a month into my new Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Well i got some good advice and all back with my Frustrating interview topic in August below.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=40894

basically the Gist, had a terrible interview with a job I went for, but then upon getting another Interview for a private hospital as IT Support. All went well and the rest is History...........

Anyway onto my job. Its great, its the best IT role ive done to date after previously working on various helpdesk and 2nd Line roles and was a complete culture shock to my previous roles.

i am essentially the sole 1st Line & 2nd Line IT support person for the 2 Hospitals I look after and how exciting the toys are that i get to play with, I could almost wee myself. Theres actually 3 IT guys as such, but one guy is the data reporting guy, and deals with the databases and SQL, whereas the other guy spends the majority of his time at a 3rd site and although he is really 3rd Line, he is happy for me to deal with any 3rd Line issues I feel comfortable with, or guide me on my way and its been great.

It is really great, the exact role ive been looking forward to doing, and im actually back in the routine of enjoying going to work:) Also from here, because we do so much inhouse stuff, It means I can actually start dipping my toes in places I wouldnt have been able to in my last role; Project management, Penetration testing, Linux configuration, sql, PHp..........I could go on:)

I think ive got across that all is going well in my role, and just like to thank peeps again for the advice leading to the interview of this role. Also, anyone stuck in a rut at the moment with a role............There is a brighter side at the end of the tunnel:)

Apart from Printers - Helpdesk and Printers equal Printers are ok

Actually attending the damn printer equals Hell and I refer to this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5orss3fAEU

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Awesome! Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Sounds good as it's the kind of job that will allow you to grow in experience but have the backup when needed from the 3rd line guy. Well done for getting it :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks everyone, its been good. Although we have this annoying networking issue at the moment that I could quite happily take a sledgehammer to the little device causing it.........when we find the little bugger!

6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Good stuff!

Whats the networking issue?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Sounds like a broadcast storm to me.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  8. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Always pleasant to hear stories of new admins in new job that they both excited about and enjoying :)

I had a less pleasant experience where I found out very quickly after starting a new job that it wasn't for me. But all of that is behind me now :)

Keep on having fun!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

My last Job was like that, I hated it after less than a month, and ended up moving to my current role after less than 3 months
    ........it was truly awful, which was a shame as quite enjoyed working for the actual company, having been there since 2007:) ah well

In regards to the networking issue, every morning, we seem to have a issue where 3 or 4 Pc's when first turned on are assigned a ip address in the of 172, which is not used by our network. Renewing the Ip address, and the correct Ip address is assigned by the DHCP server........its most annoying:D

11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Smells like rogue DHCP server somewhere

Check this link out:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/07/03/rogue-dhcp-server-detection.aspx

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Run ipconfig /all on the workstation. It will tell you the IP address that is handing out the DHCP addresses. Might be a wireless access point or something like that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback and good to hear that all your hard work is paying off. Just keep on learning and you'd do well in your career.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  14. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

We have the IP address of the DHCP server, but im unable to Ping it, or try and access it or anything as it just times out. 3rd Line guy thinks its a netgear somewhere on the network, which apparently no one has any idea of its location. Kinda surpised that every device on the network isnt recorded in some form or another, and just remembered from memory...........Every other place ive worked have had documents of everything on the network:eek:

Update on this. Didnt occur to me before.......but giving myself the Ipaddress it was dishing out, and im able now to ping the router and try accessing its admin page, but unfortunately we dont have the login details...and defaults dont work, so it looks like it down to finding the actual router and then killing it! Unless anyone knows of a way to manually reset a netgear router?

Noticed as well its giving out leases for 30 years:dry

Its weird as well, as originally it seemed to affect one deparment, but lately its spreading to other PC's in other departments, which personally concerns me..........But the 3rd Line guy set the network up and I need to brush up more on stuff like this.

Cheers Luke for the Link, i might have look into that software later.........

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  15. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Just wanna wrap this up in regards to the DHCP issue.

We had a fantastic evening yesterday, when half of our pcs renewed themselfs with the 172 address, and refused to give it up when trying to renew it back to what our DHCP server should be dishing out. It was fun:) The DHCP server had also quit itself at the time. The rogue software didnt find rogue DHCP server unfortunately...........

But It was a Netgear router that was causing the issue, and as we knew the bloody thing must have been somewhere in the building, by running arp -a, got the mac address and search room by room until we found the little blighter. As noone had the password to access the router via its Ip address.

It seems there have been a few of these installed by the last IT guy here in offices instead of switches and he has left the DHCP server enabled on these, which are having a field day dishing out wrong Ip addresses. So a removal of this device and restart of the DHCP server seems to have stopped this happening. no reports of it today.

Theres still a few more routers splattered about in the building with DHCP enabled, and i going round with a hammer:) cheers everyone