Just IT - The Defense

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SimonD, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Simon Perriton

Simon Perriton Bit Poster

Thanks for your post. Here are my thoughts;

You are right that high quality graduates are easy to place and for those we can place straight into the market we do (with a fee - we are a recruitment company!) But many graduates have a general, quite academic and non applied degree. They are not focused enough, don’t have any work experience and don’t know how to sell themselves well enough. Basically they don’t ‘stand out from the crowd’. In my view for some for some of these people the advice on Certforums is enough to help them get to their chosen career. But for others, they are looking for a more intensive and different solution. For them the Just IT programme works really well. They get valuable certifications, career support and work experience that saves them time and money compared to struggling by themselves. Then sadly some graduates we can’t help, even with our programme behind them. In ability to focus, communicate well and a lack of real passion for IT, are barriers we have seen.

You are right the apprenticeship programme is a brilliant idea for some people. But not all! Some of the very biggest companies have set up their own scheme, but not many in the IT sector. See Home - Apprenticeships for more info. A government department (SFA) oversees which companies can / can’t deliver apprenticeships. There is a lot more quality control in the apprenticeship market - thankfully!

The salaries in London for Just IT apprenticeships a normally £150 per week, paid by the employer. Around the country it will vary but £95 is the lowest. The highest for Just IT in London is £14K pa, but only about 15% are over £150 per week. So it only suits a certain person. An apprenticeship in IT with Just IT lasts 12 months.

We try and find the right candidate for the employer. We screen our candidates extensively before coming on any of the programmes or place them directly into a job. That’s what we are paid to do by the employers we work for. But you are right there may be several candidates who would fit the role. Ultimately though it’s the employer that judges what 'good' looks like at interview.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for giving this feedback! I am glad that this worked out well for you and the candidate. Not all our candidates stay in their first job for 3 years, but 95% do stay for at least 1 year. We have placed over 3000 candidates since 2001, so its a shame for me that you are struggling to find a suitable replacement - so please feel free to contact me directly to investigate if I can help you. [email protected]

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your thoughts Jonny

If we had a credible sector you are right it would be easier. About 5 years ago I got involved in an attempt to create a kite stamp for quality within our sector of self funded training companies, with the Institute of IT Training (now the LPI). But that did not work even after investing several thousands of pounds in it. So the best suggestion I can give is follow a thoughtful research process if you are looking at companies like mine. Talk to candidates, talk to employers, talk to the Directors, look at any guarantees in detail, sit in on the training for as long as you need etc

Yes, this is a risk. Unless the person does the 'sponsorship' package at Just IT. In which case they only pay for the course when they have a job in IT. But this course is not available for all candidates. So there is a catch.

Our success rate is high, because we have a good service and we are thoughtful about the type of candidate that does our programme. Clearly its not just about certifications, to get an IT job you need to have the right soft skills and work experience.

There is quite a lot of stuff on Review Centre a web site. But if anyone wants to come and talk to existing or past candidates that fine.

Thanks Jonny. Open and honest seems to work in the long term. I started this promotional activity with Simon D's (forum moderator) support because I was unhappy about the messages coming out from another thread that was opened http://www.certforums.com/forums/tr...t-training-provider-my-experience-so-far.html. I thought that it was not fair as a candidate had chosen to express his view on Just IT (with no support from me) and I thought he was not able to put his thoughts forward because of the negativity in some of the forum members about Just IT.

2. ITSpartan

ITSpartan New Member

good thing i couldnt afford to "JUSTIT", i congratulate myself for being too broke to follow through. I suggest other do the same, I work for a company who are throwing all sorts of courses at me now, MCITP for one for free, What kills it is that they are a charity who dont pay that great.

I cant speak for Just IT but i did have their people call me up. Good thing i was in bed and wasn't bothered to speak to the sales guy.

Even so a company like Just IT could easily gain clients looking candidates and place them without asking for any fees. Then charge the company a "finders fee". They could still enrol these same candidates on courses with both parties chipping in as well as the candidate while the candidate is working on a permanent contract.

Its all too easy to ask for money up front for courses. Most of the materials of these courses are made widely available online if people could be bothered to search. Amazon sell books....It could be difficult without never gracing a job in IT to pass, you are better off finding an entry level job and working on certfications while working in the job. One of my Colleagues just passed ITIL V3 3 weeks ago after his manager rejected him for the course. He took the exam independently and paid only £100 pounds. He self studied and looked at material online. He passed in 14 days. No sleep lost no huge fees.

Getting the first job can be hellish, but patience is key and being resolute and determined.

It took me a year and 6 months after UNiversity to get an IT related job, in that time I had been shafted and only had a handful of interviews, I had been working part time in a call centre, I had recieved numerous calls from Just IT.

No offence to Simon but after my experience of IT training providers specifically theres no reason why I shouldnt warn others regardless of whether your company is swimming with dolphins or sharks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013