Just got a blackberry :)

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Just picked up a blackberry 8520 from O2. Ive got it coz im sick of using a touchscreen for txting so figured id give qwerty a go.
    Ive got unlimited internet so what can i do with it? Are there any must have apps i should get etc?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear that mate.

My thoughts go out to you, your friends and family at this time of personal tragedy.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

BIS synch emails only.

BES synch everything with Exchange.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Raffaz

Hmm, im guessing your one of those iphone lovers or summit :)

5. Raffaz

Should that mean something to me? :)

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mate, I freakin' loath the things.

You pay a crap load of money for using the BES Service, which only has a couple of advantages over a SSL Cert and Windows Mobile.

C'mon how many applications are you really going to remote deploy to your handhelds?

Oops, sorry Raffaz, BlackBerrys are the shizzile :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No mate - can't stand them either.

I personally hate any technology or device that helps people (usually work) get in touch with you when you would otherwise be unavailable.

I don't want my mum to phone me when I'm in Asda. Sorry, I mean Waitrose (Consultant and all that).

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

BlackBerry Internet Service lets you synch your POP, IMAP or OWA emails only http://www.o2email.co.uk/

BlackBerry Enterprise Server lets you control your own destiny Luke, oops I mean its an Enterprise Application sitting on a Server that allows Admin type people do stuff with BlackBerrys like actiavte them wirelessley or apply policies to your phone.

9. Raffaz

Ahh right, not sure which one mine comes with, how would i know?

10. Raffaz

Work dont have my number and they wont be getting it :)

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It would be BIS mate, click on the linkly http://www.o2email.co.uk/ then go to Create New Account, then make sure you read the terms and conditions!

Then enter your Device IMEI and PIN, these can be by going to Options > Status on your CrackBerry, see if it allows you in.

If it does happy days, your emails will follow you wherever you go.

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I loves my job BB, its a fantastic email tool, and can be controlled excellently from a bes. I'm not sure what you can do with windows mobile and work emails, but a bes is very powerful, you can wipe and lock devices remotely, so if someone leaves you just click wipe n disable on their account and blame emails are a goner on the BB, so even if they dont hand it in there will be no trade secrets on it.

very cool devices that are very good at what they do.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Same things can be done with Exchange 2007, with a £20 SSL Cert, and a Windows Mobile. You can create Policies about stuff like get your password wrong 3 x and we wipe your device etc.

The only realy difference I have seen apart from the cost is that you can remote deploy apps from the BES to your handhelds which you cannot on Windows Mobile.

14. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I love my personal Crackberry, but hate my work one.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I believe the BES tariff is more cost effective for users that travel internationally in comparison to a windows mobile device with a regular data tariff.

I think this is all down to personal preference to be honest....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I flit between a 8110, 8310 and 8900. Got an 8520 coming too in the next day or so... all for work (testing). I used to think they were great but now I think they're the work of the devil. Yes, you can turn the bloody things off, but you end up just turning them on 'to have a quick peek' at what wondrous things have dropped into your work Inbox. They can be too invasive.

I've even seen people checking email on their BB while having a pee... great. Not. Who said blokes can't multi-task? 8)

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have got the blackberry 8700v for work and my personal blackberry bold 9000. I think you should get the PodTrapper application for podcasts. So far can't fault the blackberry device.

On our blackberry bes server recently pushed out a policy that locked all handhelds and enforced a password change. All these were done from the comfort of my desk, but obviously users informed well in the advance of the changes to come.

It can become a crackberry though if you're not careful:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  18. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

I personally hate Blackberys as well, I associate them with girls... you can't ask me why I think that I just do... :D they just seem to try to be good in so many ways yet there not....

I have a Nokia N95 8gb with the symbian operating system :D its not the fastest of operating systems but it does have a few nifty perks.

I despise Blackberrys :twisted: sorry raffaz 8) take this as an all out attack on blackberrys not blackberry owners :biggrin

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  19. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Dont try and use it with exchange as and change any calendar entries as they will end up being deleted, in the wrong place and numerous other things.

They are a pain in the arse at our work, with numerous partners and secretaries have differences in calendars.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  20. Raffaz

Well so far so good, pice of piss to setup and all working fine now. Just need some good apps and im set :)