Just applied for this job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wizard, Jul 4, 2007.

1. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just applied for this job, what do you think?

http://www.planetrecruit.com/show_job.cgi?j=4040088

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  2. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Looks like a good position to me, if I hadn't just landed a similar role I would applying myself. Didn't know u were in southampton area wizard.

Decent salary range for 1st line and from the sounds of it there is scope to get into 2nd line, def worth seeing what the company is like etc

Duties seem pretty standard for 1st line tech support.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It looks like a good level1/entry level/helpdesk job.

Go for it, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm not in the southampton area, but I would move because there are no jobs where I'm currently living.

5. Bambino1506

If i was relocating purely for my IT career I would go Surrey/London/Kent way.....lots of work for big companies there. Also reading area is good.

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have had a look round that area property rental wise, quite expensive, I also don't like the thought of sharing a house with others, I've been living on my own for far too long now to handle that :D

I wouldn't be able to do things that make me, "me" :D

7. Bambino1506

That is true Wizard, good point. Try and push for 20k in this role and you should be fine in southcoast.

I know a "few" parts of southampton so let me know if u want info mate.

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Cheers I'll let you know :)

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

This is not really an update on the job I've applied for. I applied to my current job to go from part time hours to full time hours, they refused because I haven't been permanent 6 months and there is no way I can live on my current hours until the new year, so I have no other alternative but to hand in my notice and start looking for IT jobs down south.

10. Bambino1506

Think carefully about this wizard mate, IMO you will be more employable in a 1st line position if you are currently in work.

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well do I stay at a job that doesn't even cover all my essential bills?

I do too many hours to get income support and not enough to get working tax credit.

12. Bambino1506

What will you get unemployed though mate ? surely its not financially better for you to be completely out of work ?

part time u can still goto interviews etc and study and it looks better to a potential employer..I don't see the benefit of quitting mate but then i don't know all the facts.

13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

At the moment I'm loosing at least £200 a month.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Never hand in your notice without another job already in hand, mate! Handing in your notice in order to START looking for IT jobs is *incredibly* dangerous. First, there's no guarantee you'll get employment to replace your current job. Second, lapses in employment on a CV are looked at negatively by prospective companies. I'd highly recommend that you look for another job without handing in your notice.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Bambino1506

QFT

This is not a positive value move IMO wizard even if u are losing money in your current employment.

16. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree, dont do it dude, not untill you have a another job on the table. I am in this s*** job im in now untill my debts are paid and I find an IT job till then I am staying put, even though I hate this fu***** place a job is still a job and it pays the bills

But never leave a job and hope you get another one cos if you dont you could up **** creek without a paddle.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  17. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

As everybody else here has already advised, you should line up some interviews and try to get something confirmed before handing in your notice. Once you unemployed you're doing nothing short of depleting your savings whilst no money is coming in! Nobody wants to be in that position.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, ACDT & ACPT
  18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey Wizard

I agree 100% with what the guys said here. Stick around till you know that you can resigne and start employment somewhere else without losing any money.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Thanks for your concerns guys, for the moment I have decided to stay where I am. Although I am still looking for alternative employment.

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What do you reckon I should do?

Apply for helpdesk jobs that need experience even though I don't have any and show my willingness to train on the job, the reason I'm asking is there do not seem to be many entry level jobs appearing on the websites they all state you need at least 6 - 12 months experience.

Do you reckon me working in a non IT customer service role for over a year through out my working life would help?