Just a quick hello.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bewaly, Nov 4, 2008.

1. bewaly

bewaly New Member

Hi All,

My name is Adrian, married (24 years) and have two kids. I live in Coventry, England. I am 50! (still can't get used to the 'f' word!). I have just purchased the Mike Meyers All in One A+ certification book, with a view to sitting my CompTIA A+ exams around Feb/March 2009. I am also planning to do the MCDST next year. I am presently into my third year studying for a LLB.

I have about 20 years experience with IT and Internet technology, especially php and MySQL. Due to an illness (MS) I am mostly stuck at home. I am hoping I can get my certs to enable me to do some remote desktop support for either a company or myself, as well as keeping the old grey matter in shape.

Had a quick look round the forums, very impressed with the help and support offered by other members. Hopefully I will be able to contribute in the near future.

Regards,

Adrian

WIP: A+, MCDST
  2. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Hello!

A+ is quite hardware orientated imo, would you be better off doing web design / php stuff? Rentacoder etc?

T

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Adrian and Welcome to CF:sunny

Good luck with your A+ studies:thumbleft and if you get stuck just ask (raise a thread under the A+ section of the forum):biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. bewaly

bewaly New Member

Hi Taita,

I have not ruled out the options you have suggested, but I have ripped apart a few comps and built a couple of Debian boxes (for fun) over the years. So, although the hardware component of the A+ exam would be taxing for me, I still think it would be attainable.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't :)

However, you mentioned working from home due to your condition. How would you troubleshoot desktop hardware issues from home if you see where I'm going?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Since you've almost finished the LLB (Bachelor of Laws), how come the change in career? Or is law something you're just interested in?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Welcome to CF and Mike Meyers A+, thats the material to study.. all the best. cheers

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. bewaly

bewaly New Member

If I were working for a company, then I suppose any hardware issues that I might find would hopefully be resolved by their on-site techs. If working for myself, then I would concentrate on OS and application issues - a hardware problem would necessitate me having on-site support backup - I am not thinking that far ahead, but you raise an important point Taita :)

Hi Ken

I have another three years of study before I get my LLB. I am studying with the Open University (course written by the College of Law.) The cost of each mandatory module would have made it financially impossible to complete the degree, as in the usual red brick uni three years.

I love law and set myself a challenge for the LLB, come what may. Paradoxically, my condition afforded me the time to go for it. But when I get the LLB I will be 53! I do not think I could take a LPC/BVC + a two year TC. I would be decrepit by then :eek: Besides, it will look good on a CV and who knows what might come of it.

I equally love IT, so the time needed for study for the certs that I want, pale into insignificance, compared to the study hours for the LLB because of the four month gap between law courses. The certs will (hopefully) allow me get on to the bottom rung of the industry, or give me some credibility if I want to make it on my own.

Thanks for all your welcomes :)

11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Adrian, welcome to CF :D