Junpier JNCIA

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Jaron78, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Morning All,

I know Juniper isnt "Cool" like Cisco at the moment but...

They have a Website called Junos Genius where you can do some of their Cloud based courses, as well as a number of other things.

Anyone interested in Routing and Switching, you can do the Course, take a practice test and if you get more than 70%, you get a free exam shot.

Over halfway through and its really interesting. I think they are doing the same for the Cloud course as well as a couple of others.

Kitkatninja likes this.
  2. thetokyoproject

thetokyoproject Byte Poster

Thanks for the heads up. Will take a look especially if there's a free exam offer.
    Let me know if you are taking this as we could compare experiences.

Certifications: 271
    Jaron78 likes this.
  3. Jaron78

No worries.
    Ive used the Junos Genius course, but there is a JNCIA Course on Pluralsight that's really good so I have used that too.
    Made loads of notes on both courses. Just setup Eve-NG for labbing now.

Just took a practice test on the Genius and got 55% so not a bad start.

4. Jaron78

So I have Eve setup with two Juniper routers and just going through the course notes again and and labbing really. Took a test this morning and hit 65 so I am getting there.

5. Jaron78

Hi Guys,

So I have passed the Junos Genius course (80%) so I now get a free shot at the JNCIA-103
    Booked it for a couple of weeks away so I have a good couple of weeks of study.

Work is really slow (Seeing as I am leaving) so going to blast my notes / labs and hopefully have my JNCIA Junos Associate Enterprise Routing and Switching.

6. Jaron78

Evening All,
    So, just taken my first ever exam at home and Passed!!

Juniper JNCIA (Once they review the video). Off to the pub to celebrate now....Oh hang on, no Im not. Off to the Off License instead :)

7. Jaron78

Will do a write up of exams from home and my experience if anyones interested?

8. thetokyoproject

Congratulations sir! Yes it would be interesting to hear about it.
    You have Cisco and Juniper certifications now - that must be quite rare in the industry - definitely nice to have something stand out on the CV.
    Well done.

9. Jaron78

Thank You @thetokyoproject

Yeah, I hope so. Would make me stand out :evilhands:

The CCNA REALLY helped with the test in some respects. It meant I could focus a lot of my time on the Juniper Command Line and commands. The general Routing (I scored about 82% I think) was everything I had already covered in ICND 1/2.

So Exams from home:
    Please bare in mind that its just my wife and I (And 2 dogs and 2 cats) at the moment. No Kids, which could be why I really like taking Exams from home. It may well be very different for people that have kids.

The Plus points for me:
    • No Travelling to a Test Centre,
    • No having to worry about the Tube / traffic and leaving home 2 hours before the test,
    • Relaxed enviroment (Within reason).
    The Negative points for me:
    • Its only a provisional pass while they investigate the Video. Can be quite nerve wracking even if you know you have done nothing wrong,
    • No actual Whiteboard to use, its a Virtual one which I didnt like,
    • Cant have a glass of water (Where as in the centre you are usually given a glass of water if you ask),
    • Lot of Faffing about cleaning off the desk, taking down the Second screen etc.
    I did get told off to be fair. Was struggling with a question and just couldnt make up my mind so started reading out loud. Got me Chat message telling me I had to be quiet.

Overal, a positive experince which I think I will do again.

Cheers

10. thetokyoproject

Thanks. Glad it was overall a positive experience.
    I think once you have the networking knowledge doing exams from different vendors might be more straight forward.
    I am still more inclined to visit a testing centre once they reopen as i like the 'turn up and then leave' approach as there's no need to worry about anything else before or after the exam.

Maybe after lockdown, this will be the new norm and some centres may unfortunately go out of business.
    Hope not though.

Jaron78 likes this.
  11. Jaron78

Id always looked at opening a test centre, seemed like a pretty straight forward way to make a few quid and there isnt any near me.
    Seems to be high overheads though, and what with exams being possible from home now....

12. AMY SMITH

AMY SMITH New Member

following on this thread. Indeed, an interesting topic.