Joining Windows 98 to a Domain ?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Jakamoko, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Yup, thats my thicko question of the week :!:

I remember somewhere back about A+ or 210, that you can have W98 (SE) on a domain, but was there something about having to obtain a special Client for Directory Services ?

As I'm a lazy Git and can't be @rsed digging the books out from boxes under the bed, I thought I'd chuck it out to you Guys :wink:

Mind you now that I think about it, isn't it in the Clients folder on the w2k installation disk ? Now, I can at least go do that ....

Any help gratefully appreciated in the meantime :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I was wondering a few days ago how the older systems delt with W2k domains... I went looking for my old install disks ( I have 98SE and ME on CD) but I couldnt find them :( Only Win95 wanted to show itself - and I didnt feel like installing that!

I'll have another look and maybe have a play later today with VMWare if I find the install disk for 98.

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks, kelton :)

I'm sure its actually the w2k disk its on - just gonna check shorly, and will report back

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Gav,

The DS client can be found on the w2k server CD in \clients\win9x\dsclient.exe it doesn't join the machine to the domain only allows it to see and access the AD resources. Trip's link shows how to attach the PC to the domain.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Make sure that networking components are installed.

Open up the Network applet in the Control Panel.Click add, then from the list add the adapter.A default client and protocol when the adapter is installed.
    In Windows 98 Jak, you'll get the Client for Microsoft Networks, and the TCP/IP protocol.TCP/IP is also configured to use DHCP automatically.

Windows 98, like Windows 95 doesn't need to belong to a particular domain, it can just log in to a domain.

In the properties of Client for Microsoft Networks, you can click the "Log On to Windows NT Domain"which says to the OS that a valid user account in a domain is needed in order to get into the OS.

To find network resources, double-click Network Neighbourhood.

In the Win2k CD, in the Clients direcotory and then the Win9x directory.A single executable installs Directory Service Client for Windows.Reboot when told.

If you now go to Windows Explorer, you can use the Find utility to search for resources in AD, including Printers and People.

This isn't full AD functionality, but your 98 client is able to access domain resources in the AD.

Think that's it :duel

7. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Hand that man another expert point! :wink:

I have found the cd, installing a virtual machine now - its something I wanted to see anyway just to "do it".

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks again - I will try and get round to it tonight :)

9. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Cracking Answer Flex. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Cracking answers indeed from all you fine chaps on this one, but I think no-one will disagree that Flex should get the chocolate watch !!! 8)

I'm now on the domain, but haven't quite installed the DS client - off to do it now.

Thanks again all,
    :super

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thank you all again- I am now fully connected to my new domain from Win98, with acces to AD.

You're all stars :thumbleft

12. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

Only one question remains..... why? :P

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

There are plenty of networks out there using legacy equipment and operating systems...including 9x. I just replaced a computer in a chem lab that was a PII running Windows 98. Now they have a nice, Dell PIV running XP Pro. One of the gals in the lab asked if she was always going to have to use "control - alt- delete" when logging on and off. :)

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The school my daughter goes to still have a machine running Windows 3.1

Then again I think that that machine was donated and the school could not afford to upgrade. Then again I don't think that windows 9x would run on it anyway.

It goes to show that as trip says, there are still old OS's out there and we are called to maintain them, even if it is on a voluntary basis. :eek:

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Simple, mate - it's on an ancient Laptop (runs on 2 mice on a wheel), and W98 is all it will take. It doesn't even have a CD-ROM, which meant brushing up on Network installations was brought into focus rather sharply too :eek:

And, as it simply has to function as a Client on my Domain, it takes up a hell of a lot less room in my lab/bedroom, than a desktop.

Saying that, its handy to have it just monitoring say, this place, while the family are monkeying around the Tweenies website, or whatever, on MY DOMAIN CONTROLLER !!!! :evil:

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sounds like it's time to tighten security on your DC.
    I'm envisioning putting two (computer type) mice in a little wheel in a cage. They can't run but they can roll (unless they're optical). :wink:

17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

If I locked down the DC so they couldn't get on Tweenies or whatever else kid's sites, I'd hit the street at approx the same time as my entire lab would - via the bedroom window !!!

All a matter of balance, I feel, Trip :daz
    :P

18. epiphone74

epiphone74 New Member

I know that this is an old thread.. Hopefully someone can help me.

win 98 se machine running legacy program. needs ISA based pc to run a card for the equipmen..
    was logging into a domain
    until yesterday. now it will not.
    can ping any machine on the network by host and IP (dns is working) and pull IP addresses via the ipconfig command
    will not login to domain at all

what can i do to get it back on domain??

thanks in advance

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What error do you get?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. epiphone74

epiphone74 New Member

No domain server available to validate your password.