Joined today advice on mcse please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by beaumontdvd, Dec 14, 2009.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi, i've started an MCSE with computrain, I have found their learning material poor and their communication digraceful. I have to finish the course by the end of March, or I have lost the 3grand I paid for the course. (As I would not have my MCSE). I have passed my 271 but needed to purchase additional learning material. I am ready for my 272 but want to make sure im fully prepared. Just looking for some advice on the MCSE, and experiences people have had with COMPUTRAIN. Appologies if this is the wrong forum for this post as im still a newbie!

Thanks in advance,

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I cant really advise you on computrain as I have never used a training provider but if you are unhappy with their material why not complain to them?

also you could get the MS press books of amazon.

Also I would check if you haven't been mis-sold the course. Do you actually work in IT? Do you know that you are supposed to have 12-18 months experience as a systems engineer before gaining the MCSE? Certs like MCSA/MCSE are supposed to show your work experience level and are not designed for people who want to work in IT.

But since your on the course and have paid you might aswell finish it, just be prepared to hide your MCSE on your cv when applying for jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. beaumontdvd

Thanks for the reply,
    I have purchased the 272 Press book and slowly getting through it, I appreciate the advice, I was an I.T technician monitering desktops, but my job role began to change and less I.T was involved day by day so I decided I wanted to learn and have a more interesting and harder job role. So I left and decided to focus on this course, I was placed there on an apprenticesip through Itec which is basically an IT training provider, which I then passed level 1,2,3 in computing. I also went to college to do the nationa diploma (2 years) but after the first year I quit as it was more binary and less hands on experience.

I know the amount of exams you pass depends on how much you work at each exam and the person doing it, but roughly how many exams do you think I could pass by the end of March. Considering I am learning from most dats on and off and in the evening.

Thanks again for your help!
    Dave

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Complain.

Not sure why this seems to come up time and time again.
    People seem to put up with shoddy service from TP's and then shrug it off.

If you spent £3k on a new TV and it didn't work, you wouldn't sit there every evening staring at it and say 'well that's me taught a lesson'.

No, you'd send it back or complain to the shop.

Why are you considering purchasing learning material that you should have been given?

Just complain properly.
    Keep a log of what you're doing and the problems that you're having.
    Write a polite-but-firm letter and keep on at them, don't be fobbed off.
    Just make sure that you are reasonable and consistant in your arguments.

The TP is under an obligation to provide you with a sevice 'with reasonable care' and if they aren't, you've got a decent case against them.

It might be a bit of a slog, but you need to get this resolved.

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. beaumontdvd

Thanks for the reply,
    After Iwent for my first exam(271) which I failed I was so confusd on how I failed it and then looked around and the questions that came up were practically completly differnt to the learning material Computrain gave me. (learning material is provided through Mindleaders) I will keep on at them I appreciate the advice alot!
    If I had my way now I would self study, but I guess now it's paid for I have no choice :(

Thanks,
    Dave

6. greenbrucelee

I agree with Jonny.

As to your question on how many exams you could pass by March that all depends on you although I highly doubt you could pass all 7 exams for the MCSE by then especially the beast. Your experience level gives you a chance but unless you have been invloved in designing and planning server/network you might struggle.

I wouldn't go near the MCSE with my level of xp yet.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No worries.

The exam questions being different to what you've seen before is just one of those things. It's when they are the same that you've got a problem. :biggrin

But if the learning material hasn't prepared you for the exam properly, then it isn't fit for purpose which gives you something else to complain about.

8. beaumontdvd

Yeah I agree too!
    Ok thanks for the advice, I'll just try and pass as many as I can, and hopfully they let me have longer than March, a year to complete the mcse is not long enough in my opinion as I pesonally like to go over and over the material as many times as I can. The edcl took me two monthes :( I guess theres no point in rushing it as the MCSE would not be worth it if you just know the stuff to pass the exams and not to put it to practice.

9. greenbrucelee

you are right, you need to fully understand the concepts and know how to put them into use for real. So don't rush things.

10. beaumontdvd

Thanks again!
    yeah, I guess it has been mis-sold strictly speaking? But most companies do everything they can to stop any attempt of a refund. Oh and I forgot to add I can't get my head around how they can place me in a job guaranteeing a wage of 28k or above annually? Especially in the Recession, seems abit to good to be true to be honest, has anyone actually passed using Computrain and been placed into a company?

Regards,
    Dave

11. greenbrucelee

MOst TPs do the do a course with us and earn 28k in one year crap. Unless the job is with computrain expect less than 18k

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They can't. So put some pressure on them.
    Claim it to be mis-selling. Then tell them you'll take them to a small claims court.
    In their defence they will need to produce evidence/statistics on their job placement and I suspect that they can't or won't want to. Keep it nice and simple. Don't clutter the case with other stuff that they can dodge behind. Make one single point and make them confront it. Chances are they'll drop it rather than risk the negative publicity.

13. gochieng

gochieng Bit Poster

certification is for your personal confidence and for filing by human resources managers. however the people who determine (yes recruitment panels nowadays will include the technical people) whether you can be hired will tell the human resources managers if you have the skill (work the PC, software rep, network install or create databases), the experience (the length of time you have in IT work, with which firms were you with, what were your roles there) and then your training (do you have any professional IT certifications, diplomas degrees etc). woe betide you, if you concetrate on only getting the certificates and cannot satifyu the other requirements!
    gochieng

Certifications: MCP, MCDBA
    WIP: MCSE