Jobs poll

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by pjrbakery, Aug 5, 2008.

?

Your IT employment status.

1. Still working in IT since leaving school/college/university.

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No longer working in IT having previously been employed.

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Joined/rejoined IT from another sector having had relevant experience or qualifications.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Joined IT from another sector with no relevant experience or qualifications.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Looking to join IT from another sector with relevant experience or qualifications.

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  6. Looking to join IT from another sector without any relevant experience or qualifications.

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Something else not covered by the options above.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pjrbakery

pjrbakery Bit Poster

Where stage are you at in the IT industry?

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+, C
  2. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

Last year I left the RAF after 7 years as a shiney adminer, and after a little job hopping I managed to land a desktop support job which I am absolutly loving at the moment.

their isnt much room to move up the ladder here but I can see myself staying with the company for a few years while increasing my experience range :biggrin

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The closest option for me is:

Still working in IT since leaving school/college/university

Simply because I've been a part-time student studying IT/Computing before I started my first IT job, during my IT career and even up to now my current IT job progressing up the IT career ladder :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. pjrbakery

pjrbakery Bit Poster

I am suprised by the low numbers of respondants that are looking to enter IT in this poll. I have seen a lot of posts from new members (such as myself) asking for advice on entering the IT profession. I would like to ask the longer term members whether they have noticed an increase in the numbers of people joining for this reason or has there always been a high turnover of new members? (or you may not agree that there are a lot of new entrants)

Cheers.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Many people who are looking to get into IT will post looking for information, get the information they need, and go back into lurk mode. Those of us who are regulars are often people who have the information... thus, with a few notable (and worthwhile!) exceptions, most of the regulars are already in IT. I love it when newbies decide to stay and become contributing forum members!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. pjrbakery

pjrbakery Bit Poster

That makes sense.

I find one of the positive aspects of this forum is that the regular contributors always respond quickly and positively to posts from new members, even though these posts are often about the same issues and questions.

7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi Hades, Just left the raf too mate, last day is the end of next month!:biggrin

Got a job working as desktop starting next week though would like to move up the gravy train in at least a year from first line...

Did you get a job working in the public sector? and whats your desktop role like, for example are you busy, what platforms are you working on, room for progression etc..

Cheers Dub

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I basically started working in IT the week I finished school. Thank god that I was able to get a job that quickly because I know how hard it is to find a job when you have no experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

I went from Uni after failing the first year of a computing degree, which I found to be a business degree, with the occasional bit of computing (quite dull for me), into a computing job

10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Best fit for me was

I did have the A+ when I got my current IT job, but when I went to the first interview the manager said she didn't care a doodly about Certs if I demonstrated I could obviously do the job.

My career from leaving school went like this:

Trading Standards Assistant (Asda) --> Warehouse Supervisor (Asda) --> FLT Driver and Manual Labourer (Manufacturing Industry) --> Sales Assistant (Manufacturing Industry) --> First Line Support (Legal)

Makes sense, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA