Job!!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Apr 20, 2007.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Remember that I interviewed with Sakson & Taylor at 10 a.m. today my time? I got a call right around 5 p.m. from their Seattle office saying they want to "go forward" with me. I could start as early as next week.

I still have to get the "official" offer from the local office including what the pay and benefits will work out to, but it's looking like I'll have a "day job" pretty soon. Frankly, I was surprised to get the call so quickly. Mike, the Director at the local office and his two associates liked me and thought I'd be a good fit for their organization. I'm really thrilled...especially at the speed this is all traveling at. The other two "contenders" are sure taking their time getting back to me. I suppose if they counter offered with a substantially better package, I'd consider it but it would have to be something.

This is still contract work but there are positive indications that it will be (more or less) steady. I guess we'll see how it all comes out in the wash but even if it goes sour, there are still other possibilities out there.

I want to share pieces of my interview with them today with the idea that it might help those of you who are looking for work.

When they asked if I had ever worked with Framemaker or Adobe Flash, I told them "no". That is, I told the truth. I also told them that there's never been I job I've taken when I didn't have to learn a new tool or technology on the fly. When I went to work for EmergeCore, I'd never used RoboHelp before. When I went to work at Micron, I barely knew HTML and didn't know CSS or SharePoint. Since then, I've learned those technologies.

When it was my turn to ask questions, here's what I asked:

"Since I have not used Flash or Framemaker, how comfortable do you feel with me learning them on the job?"

"It looks like most or all of your technical writers are contract workers. Are there any opportunities for technical writers to become salaried?"

In other words, I asked questions that are in my best interest but might make an interviewer feel a little uncomfortable. If the interviewer is professional, they'll understand that you are interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. The door swings both ways. No matter how much you need a job, there are just some people you never want to work for. Find that out before you sign on the dotted line. If they are not a good fit, you'll save them and you a lot of time and effort by walking away from each other.

I told the truth and admitted when I didn't know something. I told them what I'd done in the past when I walked into a job where I didn't know all the tools. I told them how I dealt with people and make no mistake...I don't care what job you are going for, you will *always* have to work with people. If you don't have a strategy for dealing with difficult supervisors or customers, you will most likely either learn one really fast or fry.

I told was humorous. I like metaphors, so some of my answers took that form. I'm a writer so they want to know how I think, how I organize idea, and how I express myself.

They were thrilled when they found out I had a background in hardware and network support (it's not on my writer's resume) since I may end up writing hardware manuals for HP products, literally taking apart PCs, Servers, and Printers, putting them back together again and writing about the process.

I think I'm basically going to skrew off for the rest of the night. I still h ave 5 PCs to install tomorrow but that's just a side gig. A lot of pages have come back from the SharePoint book plus the one I'm writing now so I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Thanks for letting me ramble. I hope some part of my adventure will help you in some part of yours.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Trip that sound like excellent news, I am sure you'll do well on the job, as you seem like a knowledgable fellow. Good luck and thanks for sharing some of tips with us, like you said I am sure there is someone here who could really benefit from this.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Woot Congrats mate! I guess a good excuse to celebrate this weekend! :biggrin

Good luck mate!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Great news Trip..well done buddy!

Also a lot of relevant points in the adventure you have been through.

Basically the job has to as much a good fit for you as you are for the company etc...

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  5. Abbsta

Abbsta Bit Poster

Well done mate, all the best!

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCDBA and MCAD C#.NET
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Words of wisdom, folks: Quoted for Truth.

Awesome, man! Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

That's really good news Trip.

There's a lot of good advice in your post Trip and I'd like to quote you on some of it for some other interviewees:

Be honest

Don't be afraid of asking searching questions to the interviewer.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Tripwire45,

I hope things work out for you! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Great news, congrats! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Well done. I hope all goes ok for you! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Big big congrats, my friend. Go in and ace that interview.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  12. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Trip, excellent post mate.

Congrats on landing the job! :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

We still have to work out the finances and all so it's not really a "done deal" until all the paperwork is taken care of. Today, I'm getting ready to install 5 PCs for a plumbing company. Looks like it's a Windows 2000 to XP upgrade. This one is a little different in that there's a data transfer that has to take place from the old PC to the new one via crossover cable.

The moral of the story is always keep your data including emails on a server so your hardware and OS upgrades go more smoothly. Oh well...five hours of work is five hours of work. :wink:

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Congrats Trip!

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'd forgotten why these contract hardware rollouts were such a pain in the arse. This experience reminded me.

When I got on site (a BIG plumbing warehouse) and connected with my contact (Lonny), he asked if I'd gotten "the list". Apparently, he had a list with all of the asset numbers for all the PCs and monitors in the joint. The list (for me) was meaningless since I was responsible for recording the asset numbers on the old and new PCs anyway.

The easy part was that 4 out of 5 PCs were going in their training room so I didn't have to worry about transfering end user emails and documents from one machine to another. Also, I was only replacing three machines so I only had to pack three machines.

The annoying part was that Lonny wanted me to install a phat arse network laserjet. That wasn't on my work order so I called the recruiter. He checked and said that 'we don't do printers". He did give me the option of cutting a private deal with Lonny and doing it on my own time. That didn't feel right and if something hosed with the printer install, it would all be on me. I passed.

No one told me I also had to install new APC UPS devices but that's relatively easy. I had to install just one PC for an end user but she was coming in from the warehouse so had not been previously assigned a computer.

The five hour job took three hours. One PC came without any covers over the expansion card ports. There were extra monitors and PCs that weren't accounted for on my work order but that Lonny said he'd ordered and would install himself (ok, fine).

I offered to package the old equipment and take out the garbage (which contractually, I'm supposed to do anyway) but he said just to box things up and he'd tape, label, and ship them later. I got his signature on the check sheets (sometimes the hardest part of the job), faxed them in and blew that popcorn stand.

Now as long as I get paid, I'll be a happy camper.

16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well Trip as your persistence and hard work is beginning to shine for you. I wish you well in all your endeavors:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I'M IN!!!

I just got the official offer from the company's main office in Seattle. They only were able to contact one of my three references but felt confident that I'm who they want.

They laid out the pay rate and sketched the benefits and other things for me. Of course, this is all in a phone call. I report for work on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. where I'll go through the full meal deal in terms of the contract conditions, get the 50 cent tour of the place and be hooked up with my mentor for my first project.

What can I say. I'm stoked! :biggrin

Thanks for all the support, everyone.

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

congrats! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Great news James and a stunning initial post to boot - can i uncross my fingers now for a while, they are beginning to cramp :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hardcore - well done!

LOL - now why am I getting a bit of a 'Terry Tate' feeling about that... Gangsta rappers showing you round the office, capping people for not putting the lid down on the photocoiper after using it... :D

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em