Job wants experience, how to get?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Freighter, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Freighter

Freighter New Member

Hey all,

I am currently working in an application support role for a software house.
    Some AD, networking, SQL/oracle and scripting involved.

As my career progresses I want to break into the (far higher paid) kind of applications support roles like the one listed below
    http://www.s1jobs.com/job/392730287.html

Most of these Jobs ask for experience of "ERP" software. Meaning SAP, JDedwards or some other ind of logistics
    software.

I've never had a job like that and Im wondering what I can do/study to break into these kind of roles with no prior experience?

Any help or advice will be most appreciated. Hope this is the right forum!

Certifications: A+, MCDST, CCENT, ITIL(f), SDI Snr Analy
    WIP: MCTS, SCJA
  2. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

volunteer i dunno

3. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I think that like other sectors of IT you need to progress from a lower level and work your way up. Does your present employer have positions of this capacity? If so, you might consider talking to your manager of the possibility of shadowing these guys. Also pick up some books on ERP and, if possible, get your hands on some software. It's no different than if a guy wants to become a sysadmin. He would start at a helpdesk or desktop support role and work his way up to the sysadmin role by doing some on the job training and self-study (not necessarily cert oriented, but just general professional development). Now if your company doesn't offer these position, then you might want to consider whether they would be holding you back from developing into the role that you desire. One comment I have is about the salary. I like money as much as the next guy, but I'm of the belief that if you do what you love, the money will come. Focus on developing your skills, and the money will come.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
    Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You gonna be driving the M8 each day mate? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've never met anyone with a desire to support any of those piles of crap ;)
    i am honored to finally meet one! :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0