Job upgrades - certs required

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by asmdroid, May 21, 2009.

1. asmdroid

asmdroid New Member

Hi Guys,

I have been an IT Engineer for the past 2 and a bit years and have had some heavy involvement with Technology for the past 8 Years.

I am working in 1st-3rd Line Support in a Smaller Company doing IT for SMEs in suburbian areas and the city. The pay could be far better for the skills that I have. I am at the stage where having a cert would be very useful - as a stepping stone. I have a very short lunch break and by the time I come home, I am completely shattered and want to switch off for a bit and relax. Question is: I can either try to push the boundaries, and self-study, or I can try and use a fast-track service to help with the discipline. Now, I have tried the former, and it's been hard to do.

What do you guys recommend? Anyone been in this position?

Cheers.

WIP: 70-270
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I'm in that position now mate.
    1st-3rd, low pay etc

I've started cracking on with the certs now that i've realised i've stopped gaining from this company. As they're a small company, a few people have been made redundant recently and as a result of that I've been given additional tasks which are quite tedious and take up a lot of time. I feel as though I'm 'de-learning'.

I understand what you mean about being shattered but you will feel the rewards when you become certified (or so i keep telling myself!). Generally I read/watch CBT videos at lunch and when I get home, do an hour or so on the home lab. It's not a strict schedule, but I always make sure i've done at least 3 hours a day.

Try making yourself a timetable and see what you're like for a week, see if it benefits you. Also taking the odd day off helps, a Monday would probably be better, and just spend that day (9-5) reading and learning.

Eitherway.. good luck!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi asmdroid,
    I'm not quite in your spoition but I do work shifts and have a new baby so I've found it difficult to maintain my self studies. I make time because I'm determined nothing is going to stop me getting that dream IT job. I already have a good role in IT but I want a specific great role.
    Its hard to get the work life balance right but if you want it badly enough you just have to power through it. My tips are to study in your lunch (not fun but I eat at my desk with a book), and to allocate a set amount of time at the weekends for study. I tend to do 4 hours sat and sun. And my drastic measure when I don't feel ready for an exam is to use some holidays the week before to cram.
    IMHO don't be sucked in by these training providers promising an MCSE in 2 weeks etc. Just keep putting the odd hour in here and there with self study, you'll get there in the end. With the current recession going on, at least you are working in IT while you study and getting some money in for books, CBT Nuggets etc.
    Best of luck
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. asmdroid

asmdroid New Member

Thanks for that suggestion. CBT is a nice way to do it I suppose. Yes, we're both pretty much in the similar situations. Motivation/discipline and time management is what it boils down to. Well done - keep it up!

Interesting James - thanks for the ideas. Bit curious about the Dream IT Job bit - what is the Dream IT Job? Is there really such a thing? What is the specific great role?

WIP: 70-270
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha not for everyone but there is for me mate :twisted: You'd have to have security clearance to know 8)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

i'm sure it goes along the job title of.. 'EARNS ****LOADS PER YEAR' :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I understand the motivation bit and can say it's worth it so keep motivated and just go for it. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell