Job Searching

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sparky, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, a few changes have been made at work which concern me. Might be jumping the gun but I am looking around on some job sites just to get a better idea of what’s out there. Not had to do this for a while!

Has the (IT recruitment) world gone mad?

First job I looked at insisted that MCSE is required for a helpdesk role! The second one looked more promising (Network support) but ended with “software and web development skills essential”. I could be wrong but is that not three jobs in one?

Will keep on looking around but may have to add Cisco and C++ skills to my CV to be considered for an interview! :biggrin

Anyone else on the hunt for a job just now?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Those are companies that you should definitely avoid. If they're THAT far out of touch with what the job responsibilities should be for those roles, run away!!! RUN AWAY!!!! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sezgin

sezgin Bit Poster

well, i saw this at www.totaljobs.com now.

They are just looking for PC Field Technician but they require these things;

Experience or technical expertise related to building and maintaining MAC OS X desktops and Windows operating systems.
    Knowledge of Macintosh OS X and Windows XP OS, Microsoft Office XP, 2003 and Office for Macintosh.
    First-rate interaction with Microsoft products such as Windows Server 2000/2003, Microsoft Exchange and Mail Applications.
    Exposure to MAC OS X Server. In-depth knowledge supporting Adobe products and Quark Express.
    Experience supporting PDA's and Blackberrys would be desirable.
    Excellent software and MAC and Windows hardware troubleshooting experience.
    Demonstrated ability troubleshooting and repairing personal computer systems.
    Excellent customer service skills, proficient at written and verbal communication.
    This will typically have taken place in a previous field service technical role.

look at this;
    In-depth knowledge supporting Adobe products and Quark Express. They say they are looking for a PC Field technician.

is that a normal ad?

WIP: mcse/mcsa/mcdst
  4. BosonMichael

They're not looking for a PC field tech if they require experience with Exchange Server, MAC OS X Server, and Windows Server 2000/2003. I can understand needing experience supporting Adobe products and Quark Express if their user base/customer base uses those products on their PCs heavily...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've mentioned this before, but often these sorts of "unrealistic" ads are the company's "wish list" for the "perfect" candidate. The chances of someone showing up at their door asking for the job who has all those quals is pretty much nil. What the company is trying to do is what we all try to do...get the most bang for our buck. It's like putting an add in the paper to sell your old car: "$1000 or best offer". The key is "best offer". If you are the best qualified person who applies...even if you don't have an MCSE, CCNP, and 400 other top flight certs, you'll still get the tier one support job. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

That's like my place of work - 2nd line desktop support. Internal advert said MCSE essential - the highest qualified engineer was a MCSA and then he was working there because his local office had closed and this was the next closest - he only stayed 4 months before moving on.

Looking at what is involved in the job (8 months in) MCDST would be useful, but not essential, same with A+ - they've just employed another guy who's in his late 50s and is changing jobs from IT manager (quite high up but not techie) to learn from the bottom - he wasn't even aware of the Win-E keyboard shortcut for explorer.

Definitely a wish list for employers, but even whether the job requires it is debatable!!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. BosonMichael

That's why I put a "Required Qualifications" and a "Recommended Qualifications" section in my job listings. Employers that don't are driving off qualified candidates.

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

In all seriousness, it's hard finding a job that fits sometimes.

When I was looking, Job adverts with unrealistic experience and qualification needs were all over the place.

1st line of support who must have MCSE and 3 years experience, 1st line juniors with a degree (paying minimum wage), but the one that really stumped me was for a normal checkout operator at a normal family run supermarket paying minimum wage who MUST have A+.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard