Job search agony ended with suicide

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by IT2009, Apr 23, 2010.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

No, i just understand what goes through peoples minds having been there and worked with people with mental health issues. To me your comments are like telling someone that has two broken legs to run a marathon.

Its takes quite a lot of therapy to change a persons belief system.

I believe she probably was and that is not to say there wasn't something deeper and/or more long term.

of course not.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... it's like telling someone to use the two legs they've forgotten they've got (or never knew they had).

And again, you assume she had mental health issues.

I can understand WHY people think they have to kill themselves. Doesn't change the fact that it's a bad decision.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

GUYS! You're going to have to wait until the inquest has been completed as only then will you find out the full story i.e. mental issues or what not!

But I agree with BM and others that taking your own life whether it be because of a job, a woman, a bloke or whatever, is not the answer! Life is too short for that sh1t!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Col

Col Byte Poster

Well, naturally it is a bad decision. But it's highly likely that her ability to make any a sensible decision was seriously impaired. That to an extent is what mental illness is.

It's also quite likely that she had mental health issues. It's just that no one can really categorically say that until the coroner has issued his verdict.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  5. BosonMichael

Umm... that's the very definition of selfish, bro. Selfish doesn't mean "mean-spirited" or "stingy" or "evil"... nor does selfish have a subjective meaning; it has a very objective meaning: "putting one's own needs or desires above the needs or desires of others". So if you "don't particularly care about anybody else", you are, by definition, a selfish person.

You are correct that humans are naturally selfish... it's because of our sinful nature, for those who believe in such things. None of us truly "love our neighbors as ourselves" as much as we should. Still, I encounter those "rare people" each and every day, who endeavor to put others' needs before their own. I tell you this: it's not because of how "good" those people are... there's another force at work.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. BosonMichael

My point exactly. Thanks, D. :)

7. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Your right, there is a lot to live for in life...........much more than probably any of us could imagine..............but I diasgree with the line "particular once you realize that life isnt "all about you".

The goodness of an individual can be taken advantage of, and the selfishness, The expectations, the demands of others can lead to an immense burden on an individual and lead them to a sitaution where they are utterley convinced that their friends, family etc would be better off without them, and in that situation, how can it be said to a person................"life isnt all about you".

Im sure this young lady was not a selfish individual, and im sure she just reached a stage where she 100% believed life, and the world would be better off without her.....

I think if you have never been in that frame of mind you cant possibly understand, and cant possibly place the label "selfish" on a person like this.

My thoughts to the girl, and all those who cared for her...........

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  8. Len

Len Byte Poster

I hope Gordon Brown is happy with himself.

I'm sure there's plenty more people who have resorted to suicide because they struggle to find employment.

I'm on my way there :dry

Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Haha, good old youthful tabloid induced ignorance. I never realised that the country went from amazing to absolutely terrible just in the last 3 years.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Indeed, apparently he's responsible for a world recession and even the sub-prime collapse in the USA. Man he's good!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. westernkings

I swear he killed my cat one time too.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. BosonMichael

If she took her own life, then whether she realized it or not, she was a selfish individual. Her needs became greater than the needs of her family and friends.

And you incorrectly assume that I've never been in that frame of mind. Nice try, Colloghi. :rolleyes:

13. Len

Len Byte Poster

So? What's wrong with putting yourself first? We've all done it many times, taking your own life is not an exception. Everyone has the right to take their own life imo.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  14. BosonMichael

Putting yourself first is a very evil (and very human) thing to do. That is the essence of pride and self-centeredness - a sin. You can disagree, and choose to ignore the consequences of sin at your own peril... but just because you choose to ignore it doesn't mean it isn't real.

You're right - everyone does have the "right" to take their own life. But whether or not you have the "right" to take your life doesn't mean it's not a selfish or sinful act. It absolutely is.

You can disagree, and you can argue with me until you're blue in the face... but these aren't MY rules that I live by, Len. Until you have more authority than God, I'll simply have to disagree with you.

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think, that by definition, the fact that we are all still here means that we have no idea what goes through the mind of someone who takes their own life.

It may be selfish, but it may also be selfless. You may have such a low opinion of yourself that you strongly believe that your loved ones would be better off without the burden of you.

Is it a brave act, or an act of a coward? Which is harder - coping with life's difficulties on an ongoing basis, or throwing yourself off a building?

I knew someone who jumped off a cliff (beachy head near Eastbourne for those that know. It's actually called 'lover's leap'). He did it twice, must have got lucky/unlucky the first time.

I've stood on top of that cliff, ****ting myself, and wondering what on earth could make someone think that jumping off it would be the best thing to do.

I've worked a lot with people with anxiety and confidence issues, and it's just something that 'normal' people will never get their heads around.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. Len

Len Byte Poster

Sorry to tell you this, but this "God" you speak of does not exist.

Who cares about morals? "Morals" just get in the way and prevent the human race from doing things they can do, but don't just because someone says it is "wrong" when in fact all these people can't stand moving on.

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually I know, I read a news article a while back about a family (husband and wife) who jumped off Beachy with the body of their dead son in a rucksack.

I don't actually know what I would do if anything happened to Alex (my son) but I do know that when I read this story I was moved to tears. So as to wondering what could make someone think that jumping was the best thing to do... above would certainly make me think about it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  18. westernkings

I spent about 4 months in Buxted (was dating a girl down there) so went to Eastbourne quite a lot, and do remember that exact phrase being mentioned once or twice. Didn't know it was referring to Beachy Head, which is a pretty sketchy place to stand at the best of times. I can't imagine the pain someone must be going through to drive them not only to the edge of that cliff, but over it as well.

19. BosonMichael

I pray that you find out the truth before it's too late.

And this tells me exactly everything I need to know about your character. With this sort of mindset, it's no wonder that you don't want to believe in God - or any supreme being who would tell you what you should and shouldn't do. :rolleyes:

20. BosonMichael

But in how many cases ARE your loved ones truly "better off" without you?