Job Offer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Lev Arris, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

So about 1 month ago I came on asking/begging for CV help and was given it by you beautiful people.

I'm currently working in a helpdesk environment doing 1st line support. I really don't enjoy it much we take around 50 calls a day and have a tight support remit which means no server experience or active directory. I have learnt some things but there is no opportunity for progression. On positives its given me 6months business support, some knowledge of remote control and a feel for business to business support.

I got an interview offer for a job 18k-23k to support CRM software but turned it down due to distance from home and also not knowing anything about CRM s.ware.

I went for an interview Thursday for a 1st line support job. I went straight after work and was shattered. I was only asked 5 questions in the interview (1) What do u like about current job? (2) What do u dislike about current job? (3) Why do u wanna leave? (4) What would u do with a complaint? (5) What certs do u have?

I then sat in on some calls, they have 4 levels of support there and u can progress onto the next levels. Its only 8 people per team though :-\ which is good and bad dependant on angle. 1st line support at new company means full domain admin rights, use of active directory and a muich wider and less restrictive remit. The 2nd level are sat behind 1st level so a good chance to ask questions etc.. Although obviously they'll start me off slowly.

It does mean a big 3k drop in pay but is much more what I want to do + the server support and chance in a couple of years time to do pure server support has tempted me in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a good opportunity! Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I don't get it. You were "shattered". Sounds like the interview didn't go well. Then you go on to describe a 3K drop and it being what you want to do. Did you get an offer? :blink

If you did get an offer, and are comfortable with a 3K drop in salary (at least for the foreseeable future) I'd go for it. Sounds like in the long run it will pay for itself. 8)

4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

yeah I got offered the job, but it was a really weird interview. I've never been asked so few questions. Maybe they appreciated the fact I was bombed out after clearly working far too hard at my present employers.

They've made me an offer of 16.5k. Gonna accept it 2moro as I want to do server etc.. exams and they aint much use without some server support xperience

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  5. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Sounds like a good offer and a good chance to get some good experience too. Congrats mate.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the offer and new opportunity :)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the job mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and congratulations:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?