Job Level

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by simongrahamuk, Jul 4, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

That was one of my intentions for starting this thread, there are no clear guidelines on what is expected at each level, so it varies place to place, something that someone thinks is level 3 others may think is level 2.

Here is what level I think your roles are, others may differ:

1. Providing support for calls escalated from the helpdesk - Level 2
    2. Building PC's and laptops - Level 1
    3. PC/laptop installs/moves - Level 1
    4. Telecoms maintenance - Level 2
    5. Basic File and Print server maintenance - Level 2
    6. Rollouts - last one involved installation of Switch and Routers - Level 2
    7. Project work involves ordering, planning and organising installation of lines for the telephone system and Network (Switch and Router), organising cat5 cabling requirements. - Possibly level 3, more likely 2.

2. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

After looking at a few old threads, this is my take on it......

1. Providing support for calls escalated from the helpdesk - Level 2 - I would agree - Level 2

2. Building PC's and laptops - Level 1 - This is decision made by the business that we build all new XP laptops, however 1st line do rebuild NT workstations

3. PC/laptop installs/moves - Level 1 - Not sure about this one, when I mean installs because we build them we tend to attend the different locations around the country, so I dont think 1st level could do this as they are desk based, when I say moves - this is on a large scale usual 10+ again this is in all different locations around the country

4. Telecoms maintenance - Level 2 - I would agree - Level 2

5. Basic File and Print server maintenance - Level 2 - I would agree - Level 2

6. Rollouts - last one involved installation of Switch and Routers - Level 2 - I would agree - Level 2

7. Project work involves ordering, planning and organising installation of lines for the telephone system and Network (Switch and Router), organising cat5 cabling requirements. - Possibly level 3, more likely 2. - Level 3 I would have thought? I mean we make the decision on where the comms room is located and after the lines/cabling is installed we do the physical installs

I agree its not very clear where one level ends and the next level starts :hhhmmm

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Who extended your contract?

I would contact personnel and find out if your contract has changed or if you are still part of the same department. However if your on a civic temp scheme, then at the end of the day it's usually personnel.

UCM 8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would go for Level 3 and even some consultancy could be involved.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

After doing 39hours so far this week, 1 more day left, i seemed to have impressed both managers, and now they will be having a meeting as to who i will officially be working for on Monday... im not sure who i want to work for cuz both jobs just kick ass. but one thing for sure, come a few months, im asking for a payrise / a proper contract not agency!

6. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

The job is advertised as 1st/2nd line support and as a service desk and not helpdesk. This fits about right for what I do. It's a call centre and I have to take calls and log tickets (1st line) and at the end of the day, the 'bosses' are more interested in getting calls answered than us spending 15mins fixing something over the phone. However I also do:

- Full user account administration on Active Directory, User Manager for NT, Exchange 5.5 (and soon on a Unix system for Uniform software)
    - Printer administration (Queue & spooler manintenance, setting up printers on the server and installing network printers on client machines)
    - Full admin access to the domains for troubleshooting (remote desktop and remote assistance)

Basically anything we can do over the phone, we do. As we're not physically in the same location as the people we support, there is certainly no third line responsibilities.

I'm hoping to finish off my MCSA in the next 6 to 8 months, I'll then have 2 years experience in the above and 1 year in basic 1st line. I'll then be looking to move into proper 2nd line (not being tethered to a phone!!!) or 3rd line (desktop support).

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  7. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

this gave a very good idea of the levels :)

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I guess your right! It’s a case of getting the plans and discussing it with the architects