Job Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ambushed, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Hi there, I had a job interview today at an ISP for the role of Technical support.

I thought it went generally well, I'm not sure if I will get picked for the job considering my age and all.

But we will have to see.8)

Certifications: MCTS, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MSCD
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds promising, let us know if you hear anything more. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. jayford

jayford Bit Poster

DUDE :eek::eek::eek:

Just saw all your certs!!

What are you, some kind of prodigy???

Best of luck mate we're all rooting for ya':biggrin:biggrin and let us know if you are successful.

Certifications: HND Computing, procrastination+
    WIP: MCITP Developer, Bsc Info & Comp
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I hope you didn't put all of those certs on your CV, as there would be no way you would have the requisite experience at your age.

However good luck with the outcome of the interview 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Qs

I agree with what Wizard has said. Although impressive as it is, I imagine potential employers wouldn't be overly happy about hiring someone at such a young age especially with no experience.

My two cents.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

Yep, I have had 5 months experience answering phones and processing orders over the phone for customers. I also have this:

AMES IT Academy Certificate in Computer, Technical & Helpdesk Support

AMES IT Academy is basically just like any other training place, which I am doing a diploma at.

Booked and sitting my 290 server exam for the 22nd of September.

7. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

You have to start somewhere don't ya. :p

Anyway, I'm 17 in a week and thats when I hear back from them.

So its either going to a very good birthday or a very bad one.

8. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Best of luck with the interview!

It's very impressive that you have those certificates but IMO when you do finally get a job in I.T I'm predicting that you'll get bored very quick, with your extensive knowledge, that will also be the assumption of employers too, so as advised above I wouldn't put all your certificates on your CV

Best of luck :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  9. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

I have never thought of it that way, I am very keen for any I.T related career.

I don't even mind if I'm payed or not I just want the work experience.

Anyways, thank you all for your support.

Better get back to studying.8)

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, depending on which exam he took for the MCP, it's entirely possible that those certifications are still in the "entry-level" realm. For instance, passing half of the MCDST (which we recommend for entry-level folks) grants you the MCP... and 70-620 can be considered an entry-level exam, in my opinion.

That said... Ambushed, you should *definitely* hold off on 70-290 and 70-291 until you've administered servers in a domain environment for 6 months or so. Certifications without the appropriate amount of experience can do more harm than good.

Good luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

To late now mate, I've finished studying 290 and I have booked it for the 22nd this month, I'm also half way threw my 291 - Network Infrastructure.

Time is $$ :).

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Even so any employer worth anything will see that you don't have enough experience and won't hire you so you won't get the $$$, there are no shortcuts, you can do all of the certs available but mean nothing without the experience.

Take it from me and other's who have been in the job market for nearly 20 years or more.

We're not trying to discourage you here just a reality check 8)

13. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

I understand that, but I can't just drop out of my diploma in the middle of it.

I'm going to have a year or so break between my MCSA and CCNA, meaning I'll do CCNA at a later time once I have the experience to show employees.

14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

We are not saying drop out of it, just don't put it on your CV.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

ding ding ding! This advice, for the win. Qs himself doesn't put his CCNA on his CV for the same reason.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Ambushed

Ambushed Nibble Poster

3.30AM sorry. :D

Good night and thanks again.

17. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Agreed with above two posts!

One part of me is amazed that a 16 year old as this drive for knowledge, it's very impressive to say the least, but the other part of me is thinking that if you drive too fast you're going to end up ruining the car :(

18. Qs

What he said - I don't.

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

jackd hasn't been on for a while and he's 14, so the drive is definitely there. 8)

20. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

Yeah I know, I was trying to steer well clear from age discrimination. I just find it refreshing that these guys have the motivation to enhance their knowledge at a young age, whilst the majority of teens around my area are more concerned on when the latest track suit comes out :lol:

Kudos to the young I.T Pro's! :thumbleft