Job Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jun 1, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I applied for the position of technical writer to EmergeCore more or less on a lark. After a week, I hadn't heard back so I thought "oh well". Late last week, they gave me a call and said they'd like to interview me. Frankly, I like my job at HP and hope that they make me full time at some point fairly soon (there are rumors but nothing substantial).

On the otherhand, I applied to EmergeCore for a help desk position more than a year ago. I didn't get it because I was still in school and they couldn't accomodate my hours. The thought of doing tech writing full time does have its appeal. Interview is in about an hour and a half (yes, I know you'll all be asleep by then). If they actually offer me the job, I don't know what I'll do with it. Guess it depends on what the offer is like and what I'll actually be doing.

To top it all off, HP has paid a ton of money to fly an expert out from Boston tomorrow to upgrade our eye tracking technology and teach me how to use it. It sure would be rotten of me to split right after that...

We'll see.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Trip,

At least your getting the breaks. Only you can make the decision, but you know that we'll all wish you 110 % GOOD LUCK with the interview.

Please let us know how you get on :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh boy. I went in for my interview. The place is only minutes from HP and I knew right where it was. As I mentioned, I interviewed there a little over a year ago. The receptionist recognized me and so did the guy who interviewed me. They liked my background and my experience and want me for a second interview next week. They need to make a decision no later than Friday, June 11th.

They have numerous technical writing needs and the first ones would be their main manual and express set up guide. After that, there's anything from FAQs and web content to press releases. They're a fairly small company but they're owned by a really big company which means paid holidays, vacations, and benefits. No salary range set yet but it will be by next week.

As much as I like my job at HP and as badly as I'd feel leaving them after working there only a few months, I'm really, really tempted by this one. It's pretty much a dream job for me...combining my techie background (such as it is) with writing on a full-time basis. No killing myself doing support for a network 70 or 80 hours a week, no stripping wires and diagnosing funky connections. It's not that I really even mind all that...but this would be pretty interesting.

Anyway, no use counting my chickens before they're hatched. I definately have the second interview but who knows beyond that. The big bosses will be there for that one and they may not be so easily dazzled.

Book proposal is in. The publisher in New York will see it tomorrow. It's in their hands now as to whether or not they want to go forward. Suddenly, major portions of my life are on hold.

Stay tuned...

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Goodluck mate, i'm sure you will choose whatever is right for you eventually, like me you would feel bad for the company your leaving, many have told me i'm the one pouring my life away for thier profits, and i should do whats in my best interests and not worry about thiers, but i have never quite managed that :)

good luck
    keep us posted (as im sure you will)

slightly off topic, hows the daughters trip going? hope shes keeping in touch/having a good time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

She's having a blast, Ryan. Thanks for asking. She's keeping very busy and unfortunately doesn't have much time to write us. Her birthday is in about three weeks (she'll be 16) and we're getting everyone ready to send their presents to her.

Mon thru Fri, she's away from home 12 to 13 hours at a shot. She has to bike to the train station, then take the train to school. After school, she practices with her band club until 7, then takes the train home. Dinner, homework, bed after that. She has to practice band on the weekend, too. She also helps her host mom around the house.

She has to write a 16 page paper on Dreams for a health class. Fortunately she gets to write it in English but there are very few English resourses on the subject at her library. She's found some stuff on the Internet but asked me to help. I've checked some books out of the library here and have been going over them, typing notes, and sending the notes to her as e-mail attachments. So far I've covered three chapters in one book on Lucid Dreaming which covers about 8 pages. If I write much more, all she'd have to do is present my notes to her teacher as the finished product (not recommended).

We miss her terrifically here but this is her dream so she gets to live it out. A bit less than nine more months until she comes home. I'll just pretend my wife is pregnant and she'll give birth to our daughter in February. :D

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Glad to hear mate, thanks for the update :)

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Don't you ever sleep??? :D

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

not tonight
    leaving for the airport in a few hours, safer this way, saves me oversleeping, and i still had tons of work to do tonight
    (fixing a mates Win98 machine, moving 6 hard drives into my main PC for FEDEXing, dismantleing two other machines and finding imaginative ways to squeeze them into my suitcase) etc :)

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hope you have/had a good flight. My brain turns to mud when I get tired and I can't do anything that requires a lot of concentration (like study or write). I was about to drag myself to bed when my wife and one of my sons asked me to join them in watching a movie (quality time and all that). Now I'm down a few extra hours sleep. Time for the "wake up juice" (coffee). :D Happy landings.

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Been following your conversation over the day (whatever a CertForums day translates to ...) with interest, as it raised 2 issues I'd been quietly thinking about

Namely, your Daughter's trip, Trip, and your move, Phoenix.

Glad to hear everything is under control for you both - you are two great guys to have around these Boards, as you continue to offer guidance and optimism to everyone else who wanders through our doors.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

thanks trip and jak, i landed safely after a long grilling at immigration about why i was here, and a rather boring wait at O'hare, landed at 22:40 local time on wednesday night, its now fridya morning and have really only just gotten the laptop up and running, been catching up with everyone before that :)
    hope i can keep on helpin as much from over here :)

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Good luck over there Phoenix, hope everything goes well whiost you are over the pond. 8)

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

@Gav: my daughter's name is "Jamie".

@Ryan: Are we sharing the same time zone now? It's almost 9:30 a.m. here in Boise.

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

we are indeed mate, 9:37 here in nampa

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Great! Welcome to Idaho and the U.S. When you get settled, PM me and we can arrange to get together over coffee or a beer. It will be the first time I'll have had a chance to meet a fellow certforums person face-to-face. And to think, I always believed I'd have to travel to the U.K. to do it. :D