Job Interview Today

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by PaulC, Nov 15, 2006.

1. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

I've been working in 1st and now a combination 1st / 2nd line role with lots of XP and Server 2003 experience (AD, Printers, File Server, Backup, Exchnage 5.5 and 2003) for 3 years and have decided to look for a more desktop and/or server admin type role off the phones of a helpdesk where I work presently.

I've got an MCDST, 270 and am about 6 weeks from taking the 290 exam, plus all the experience above. I've got my first interview today for a 'Desktop Support Analyst' role. It's a small company that has 1 person on the IT team and they need a second person to help out and also allow the IT guy there at present to take on more project work.

The job basically wants:
    Previous experience in as many of the following technologies, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional, Active Directory and Group Policy, Exchange Server 2003, Firewall (Sonic wall), Router, VPN, to configuration and installation level.

Which I've most of, but I'm a very quick learner for the areas I'm not as good at. The interview has come about very fast (only just 24 hours since I applied from seeing the job advert) and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for questions or things I should be looking out for / to ask for this kind of role?

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

good luck mate

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

good luck mate! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Well, it seemed to go okay. It was more a meet and greet just with the IT guy, who proceeded to just go over my CV, what exactly the job was and why I'd be interested in it. They're just meeting anyone whose CV catches there eye for 15-20mins then they'll be more indepth second interviews with the directors if the IT guy likes what he sees. This 'meet and greet' format followed by a second interview seems to be the way things are done now, this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've been for interviews in this format.

5. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

I hope you did ok.

I've interviewed a few candidates in that format. If you made a good first impression then you'll be invited back. From my experience this isn't the best way as first impressions tend to be wrong!

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

You're right about this meet and greet trend! A few months back I was invited to go for 'lunch' with an IT Director of some firm in Birmingham, i was recommended by a friend who also works at the same firm. I declined as I'm too scared to leave the public sector... ;)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

The same format was used when I applied for my current job. The first interview was a mix of technical and personal questions. The second interview was with one of the directors, and it was a more informal "chat".

Good luck, hope made it to the second round. 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  8. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Hopefully I'll get invited back. Last time I did one like this I got to the final 2 people, they just chose the person with more experience, it was 12 months ago though and I've now got 270, MCDST and ready to sit 290 and a lot, lot more experience.