Job in PC World

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by stavros2012, May 1, 2006.

1. stavros2012

stavros2012 New Member

I spotted a job advertised in PC World yesterday. Just as a sales assistant. Hours advertised were Monday to Friday 8-5.

I'm thinking this may be a good starting point before I'm certified, valuble experiance & a good discount source.

I'd like to hear everyone's opinions or true points about this.
    Wheter you agree, disagree or are not sure or if you have any knowledge of PC world emplloyment.

Thanks,
    Lee

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds good mate, can we get a discount as well? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It'd be worth it as you would get a lot of familiarity with the equipment, learn tech spec's, etc! :biggrin

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Go for it, Lee. Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Anything you can do to get real world experience is a good thing. Good luck. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Have to agree with the others.... any form of experience is good!

Also working there, if not maybe 100% the role you're after, still shows a committment to the IT industry!

Go for it :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  7. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Yeah man, go for it! Definitely some good experience to be gained there. Do PC World do repairs onsite?

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck Lee - go for it. Just remember, as your knowledge increases, don't forget to cover it up and still act dumb !! :tongue

Sorry - just playing along with the stereotype. Any time I've been to PC World, the assistants have been fine :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. stavros2012

stavros2012 New Member

They have a PC clinic which does repairs & upgrades in my local store

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Nice one :thumbleft not only is it experience with customers and the technologies people/businesses are buying on a daily basis but you might be able to venture into the "PC Clinic".

Hope it works out for you :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yeah I would say go for it too mate...now I see ur from Newcastle too...let me guess is it the PC World in the Silverlink? Cos if it is I have applied there 3 times and they didnt want me...not cos I couldnt do the job (hell I was working in Dixons before!!) but cos my CV showed how much techinical stuff I knew...maybe this was the reason I dont really know but its all I can think of...so if u do get it...try not to get sucked into their way of thinking...and its for a Sales Assistant, be even more cautious...9 times of 10 u will find (and we all have at some point!) these guys dont know what they're talking about...so let us know if u get the job and I will be round there to buy stuff from u mate...cos at least I know I wont be ripped off. :biggrin good luck fella...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. stavros2012

stavros2012 New Member

Actually its the Kingston park one. I'm gonna stay in my current job at the minute as I'm on a good wage & have a few things to pay off + it looks like improving.

But if they're still advertising, once I'm stuck into my A+, & things arn't looking too good at work, I think you guys have offered enough advice to make me apply for the job!

Thanks fellas!

13. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Worked for them for over a year in Dundee. Not the greatest employer. You have to be careful as the store is essentially split in 3 sections, Sales, Service & Tech. Sales team are solely sales, very little customer service, and pretty harsh targets. For instance you need to sell the extended warranty PC Performance, or as they like to call it "the Danny" meaning the danny glover or Cover. I was in sales and it was really crap. The targets are not easy to hit and the managers will be on your back.

Then we have service. Service staff man the tills and stock shelves aswell as very basic customer service and warehousing tasks. The service side is far better to get into as the targets are based on team performance and you dont have to break your balls just to make a decent wage (they pay just over min wage in sales, and they "say" it will be subsidised by your bonus, which is often unreachable!)

The final role is tech, however a friend told me they are doing away all together with the tech roles. Most of the warranty work is sent away to sub contractors and the techs do very little hands on work. Mostly installing memory and other upgrades for a tenner if bought instore. Tech jobs arent often advertised for now, and furthermore all our techs had formal training from Microsoft and other cert providers.

Also dont beleive the shifts, the 9-5 mon friday turns to 9-8:30 varying shifts and working weekends too. Be very careful, they didnt provide us with contracts and kept saying we would receive them, essentially allowing them to dictate shifts to us, whilst most of us joined on the 9-5 shift this soon changed.

Not a great company to work for, but the experience would be good. Make sure you ask for a service job and stay away from that sales team, it will destroy the sole.

Im not trying to put a downer on this, just telling it like it is from experience, better that lying and saying its a great place to work!

Good luck if you go for it
    Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  14. oush

oush Byte Poster

good luck man! Should be a good experiance!

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It will be a good starting point and you may even get discount on parts for your computer.
    I notice they sell Microsoft self training books exam (70-271).

What have you got to lose.....?

Good Luck!

Andy :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+