Job hunting

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aigo, Nov 24, 2008.

1. aigo

aigo New Member

Hi there

In February I completed a 5 month apprenticeship course with Zenos academy. Here I achieved alot of certifications such as the A+, Network +, 2 MCPs that equal a MCDST. Here I also achieved a level 3 NVQ in Computer and an advanced diploma in computer. After attending this course I thought I would have no trouble getting myself a career in I.T. But it is now 9 months later and I'm working in a warehouse which I cant stand and having no luck with my I.T. Career. Just wondering if anyone could give me any tips of how to get more interviews and once i get the interview how I could show that I would be a valuable member of the team.

Thanks alot
    Ben

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

First of all, welcome to CF. :)

Secondly, rather than go into a very long missive, the answers to your questions are probably already available here on our forum. In the Employment & Jobs forum, there are several threads "pinned" to the top of the forum, so they're easy to find.

They include: Job Hunting Advice, Writing the Killer CV, Finding the Right Role in IT, and Interview Preparation. Start reading through those to see if they help. Afterwards, post back any further questions you may have.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Just a question, weren't you already working in IT in order to get onto their Apprenticeship program?

If you weren't...

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. aigo

aigo New Member

Cheers for the replys :)
    No I was not already working in the IT field but had been at college before doing a course in I.T.
    Zenos were supposed to help us find a job but they seemed pretty bad at this and most people who were on the course at the same time as me either found a job on there own or have still not found one in I.T field.
    Bout to go read through some threads which will hopefully help :)
    Cheers
    Ben

5. creamofluve

creamofluve Bit Poster

Hello,

You've done a good job for yourself lately, i will say don't give up, job hunting is just like having a job, i have 3yrs in desktop support and 1 yr in system administrator, and yet i cant find any job. Just don't give up, try and register and post your cv on them jobs website i dont know if im allowed to name websites here, and 2nd thing is pray very well... Finger Crossed, Your not alone.

Certifications: MCP,MCTS,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

IT is one the hardest careers to get into, it could take you a while you just need to keep trying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

Its difficult getting your first IT job even with numerous cert

There is an opening for an apprenticeship here

GRim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. Queeg

Queeg Bit Poster

Hi there, I went to Zenos too. The recruitment officer there should still be in contact with you until you get a job. It took 2 months for the recruitment lady at my Zenos to get me a job. As the others said you just have to hang in there, the hardest part is getting your foot in the door.

Certifications: MCTS, MCDST, A+, Network+
  9. Kitkatninja

A proper work based apprenticeship, I might add :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  10. aigo

aigo New Member

Would be interested in that its just its an hour and a half away from me and I don't think the £80 a week would even cover the travel.

11. Kitkatninja

That's one of the problems that we have - the training wage... I'm trying to get it uprated, but I'm not holding my breath :(

-Ken

12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

"slavery is but the owning of labour and carries with it the care of the labourers, while the European plan is that capital shall control labour by controlling wages." :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol, but think of it this way. If your getting trained & trained well (especially if Ken & Modey are doing it) then your going to get set up for a good career. I'd do it like a shot if it was near me and I didn't have any commitments. If your young have no commitments then this ideal for you, you could always see if there are any grants to help with the costs incurred by travelling.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

What about Train 2 Gain and all them things ? There must be some financial support out there.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  15. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

A lot of that just covers training for basic read/writing skills.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  16. Kitkatninja

No, not from a organisations point of view, however I do not know if there is a fund for individuals - that would be down to the individual to find out. Train2Gain is funding the training* in conjunction with the learning provider, which in this case is Tresham. It's down to the individual organisation to pay, at least, the minimum required training wage which is £80 pw.

-Ken

*Training package is worth a few grand.