Job Hunting Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arisen, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Bijou

Bijou New Member

I couldn't agree more with the writer Arisen. He states things as they really are IMHO. Thanks for posting it.
    I am not against young people wanting to get into IT *if* they have a passion for learnng, are head and shoulders above everybody they come into contact with regarding some aspect of computing and really want to put their talents to good use.

What many of them don't realise is that the learning curve in this industry is a huge one. There is so much to learn that it is impossible to know it all. To get an edge over all the competition you really do need to have something special to offer.

What I believe to be wrong is that people who don't have this passion or any real talent for computer related work are being advised that the IT industry will be good for them. The industry is being flooded with people from all walks of life that really are not cut out to be troubleshooters, web site designers or network administrators etc.

Your link may help to clarify the reality of the situation.

agreed

2. Xerixo

Xerixo New Member

I made a mistake in my first IT job because I was too hasty to jump for the first opportunity without looking into the company. They advertised their job as IT Tech support when in fact I ended up being a salesman. They used the knowledge of people to sell their products however if you didn't hit sales you would be put on a performance plan or sent home. Some companies also provide awful support for new people, I got sent to consistent meetings for minor errors on tickets and I wasn't even through the trial period yet. My advise would be just make sure if you hear anything mentioned about sales in your interview run! or question it interviewer.

3. darui

darui New Member

I found my current work on linkedin

4. darui

darui New Member