Job Help

Discussion in 'Network+' started by cockney jeff, Sep 6, 2008.

1. cockney jeff

cockney jeff Bit Poster

Hi guys.

Questions for you. Am A+ and N+ certified. When looking on job boards what job title(s) should I be looking for? Everything mentions Microsoft but not CompTIA. Feel I have been ripped off and would have been better off studying Microsoft from the start. Anyone recommend job boards for these.

Also, I see 1st line, 2nd line and 3rd line support jobs. What are the skills required for each?

And finally.....being A+ and N+ certified, I understand is equivalent to MCP. Is this true?

Thanks guys
    Yours frustrated geezer who cannot get job!

Certifications: A+, Network + & MCP
    WIP: MCITP
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Look we have to admit the comptia certs dont carry much weight in the uk but that doesnt mean that not known! you made a good start now i think you should look at a MCP or maybe even Cisco's CCNA depending on which area you want to branch off to. As for job titles look for "1st line support" "Junior Support" "Helpdesk" those should get you some results! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You've told us what your certs are, but not what your skills and experience are. I want to know what you can do, not what tests you've passed (possibly by dumping).

I was interviewing candidates for a part-time job last week. One failed the practical portion of the interview when he...

a) Didn't put on the available anti-static grounding wrist band.

b) Grabbed the WiFi PCI expansion card by the connector(!)

c) Didn't notice the provided screw driver was magnetized (that's why I made sure I left four screws sticking to the head to make it obvious).

He did his A+ as part of a work experience course in high school. Granted, it's been a while since I did my A+, but I'm willing to bet that static precautions are covered somewhere on the current exam. Hell, I'm sure there was a question involving the wrist strap on my Linux+ exam as CompTIA can't seem to write a test without one.

Certified or not, I didn't want this guy putting his fingers in my customers' systems as I'M the one on the hook if he screws something up. :x

Anyhow, if you're wondering why employers don't really give a flying crap about your certs, it's because of real world problems caused by certified techs who should know better.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If you don't have any real world IT experience, then just look at applying at entry level/Junior/1st line support.

The A+ & the Network+ is not equivalent to a MCP, combined together they can be used as an elective for the MCSA. In fact if you look at their level (in terms of the UK NQF) the Network+ (level 3) is higher than the MCDST (level 2), however in the real world it depends on what your role is which dictates which is more valuable. However both the A+ & the Network+ will give you a great basis when you come to doing the higher MS certs like the MCSA & MCSE.

And to be honest Comptia certifications compliment MS certs (and vice versa) and even states this on their website. MS certs, like Cisco certs, are technology/vendor specific whereas Comptia certs aren't.

Unless you're using Cisco equipment right now, I wouldn't do any Cisco certs, anything higher than the CCENT anyway (and until you start working in IT I wouldn't do anything higher than the MCDST (you also get the MCP with that). Remember Cisco certs needs to be renewed every 3 years.

Professional certifications are now being taken as a short-cut, as a replacement for experience and because of that, alot of managers (including myself) are now dis-regarding the higher end certs if the experience does not match up.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Ken and what everyone else has said!

However, even if you did get more certs in Microsoft, its not going to guarantee you a job unless you have the experience to back it up!

Also, most employers inthe UK are asking for ITIL these days, it's a big requirement in the UK!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I would have thought 70-270 (XP) would be your best next.

Benifits are 1 exam only, Combined with your A+ & N+ that just leaves 70-290 & 291 for your MCSA.

You would be an ideal candidate for a desktop support job with those certs.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Meh, in normal operating conditions, I might have messed up a and c, simply because I take reasonable precautions before touching the case, and I have yet to have a problem using a *lightly* magnetized screwdriver. But in an interview, I'd have minded every safety rule possible.

All that said... b is a serious no-no. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

My view is that it's my job to take all possible precautions with a customer's equipment. A static charge may not kill a piece of hardware outright, but instead damage the die so that it draws more power than needed and cause it to fail prematurely. Besides, at $60/hr in the shop I can take an extra ten seconds to put on the strap and put a piece of Tack 'n Stick on the end of my non-magnetic screwdriver if I need to hold a screw in place.

Anyone that I hire needs to be equally paranoid about taking care of my customers.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Very true. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!