Job center are f^&%&*g B$£^&*%s

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bootneck1, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

A brief description about me i joined the Royal Marines 2000 did eight years and six operational tours, and thought now is a good time to leave, so once left i got advised to go to the job center and sign on, i felt disgusted doing it but it is alittle extra pocket money, so anyway i went down and i was shocked on how they talk to you, all because i have no job it makes me cheap, i said to her i left my previous job cause i have spent many years of my life away and have other commitments, i also explained after doing six operational tours you gotta start thinking bout your family, thats its not fair to put them through the stress and trust me it does, she came out with a comment saying 'you should think bout your self' , while in other forms of jobs i would agree but not the military especially the things i have been through, then the worst thing is i can only claim till July so if it all goes drastically worng for me and it gets up to July im screwed. I asked her why is this, i have paid my national insurance and taxes, and the answer i was given' cause thats the way we work' WFT but they are more than happy to give people hundreds of pounds to people for nothing or pretending to disabled. Surley i have paid my debts to Gordon Brown, guess not, i can see why most ex military live outside of the UK cause we all seem to been glorified bin men, do their dirty work but get no thanks afterwards.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you leave a job you are not entitle to dole money for 6 months thats the way it's always been. The only reason I can think of why is because it cuts down on the scroungers who think they can do a couple of weeks at some place then leave and get the dole again.

And yes they do talk to you like your a piece of crap, I've been there too. I'd say go back to them and ask them what you can do enquire about a Crisis Loan (tip you have to ask for more than actually want)if your approved for one when your benefits start they take of a couple of pounds for each payment and when you get a job they take the rest out of your wages.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Full respect to anyone who has served in the armed forces. The job centre staff are just poorly trained admin staff who are encouraged to grill you and harass you into signing off (better unemployment figures). Much the same way schools and colleges pay students to either stay in school or go to college when they reach a certain age. It's all about keeping you off the official unemployment figures:ohmy. Once you understand this you can work around it and them and not take things too personally.

They will try to force you into applying for jobs that have absolutely nothing to to with your skillset because they are rewarded for it with a pat on the back from the fat controller hiding in the back room. Who will most likely be watching CCTV and directing the security staff towards anyone who looks like they might lose their rag with them.

We pay far far too many taxes in this country but don't even dare to claim something back or you are treated like dirt. You can "almost" understand their lack of humanity when they are dealing with lazy sods for years at a time knowing full well that they are not looking for work and are playing the system. I guess this desensitises them to those who truly need help.

Be firm with them and use it as a social engineering exercise to get them on side perhaps. Just keep plugging away and your rewards will come. There are those of us that appreciate the efforts you guys have/do make in the forces and i hope you get a lucky break my friend.:D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Err guys...wake up...smell the coffee! It's always been like this/that! When I tried to go on the rock n roll back in the early to mid 90s I too was spoken to like a piece is of sh1t by the Jobcentre staff AND I didn't even qualify for dole!!!!! I hadn't paid enough stamps so had to go onto Income Support. They key is to speak back to them in the manner they speak to you! When that doesn't work you get their manager involved and IF that doesn't work then you write to the Secretary of State. Worked for me and countless others. If you want PROPER help then go and see the CAB people, most of them know the system inside out and you may even end up getting more 'pocket money' then you bargained for!

Good luck to the ex-Marine! Now go get your taxes back!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like dalsoth said, respect for serving your country.

Just letting you know that the first 6 months (actually 26 weeks) the Jobseekers allowance that you'll be receiving is what would be classed as contributory based JSA (Job seekers Allowance), this is based on your NI contributions over the past two years, I believe. After that, provided you meet the criteria, then it moves over to income-based JSA. This is where they take into consideration any other income (eg from wife) and savings, etc...

Unfortunately, just like every other industry/company there will be people that do not have alot of customer service skills, please do not think that everyone thinks, talking & acts like that. I use to work for the DWP (before and after it merged with the Jobcentre) and I've seen quality staff and not so quality staff come, go and stay. BTW, the decision makers actually work from a chart that the Government gives them that actually states how much a person is allowed per day on a Crisis loan.

While there are some poorly trained admin staff, not all are like that. And as for getting a big pat on the back, I can tell you that is very far from the truth. There are alot of targets that staff have to meet, eg if you're on the telephone team, you have to pick up the phone within x amount of rings. If you're on processing you have to process x amount of claims each day. You have to deal with shouting and threating behaviour. You have to know about the 101 different benefits. I worked in one department and I can tell you it was heart breaking at times.

As for the security guards, how would you feel if a customer walks into the office grabs the PC monitor and then swings it at both staff and other customers, or going to work only to get your car's hood detented because someone jumped up and down on your car, what about having to go to hospital due to a fractured arm - yes all those and more have happened to people I worked with. So that's why the jobcentre Plus has security guards :x

BTW, the Jobcentre Plus does has vancancies if anyone is interested.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I have little respect for the job centre staff i'm afraid. I know i may be generalising but i have signed on for a year or so when i was younger and was always polite and courteous. I was treated like i was a scab on the face of the earth by all of the advisers i had to deal with. I used to sit there with my ticket praying i did not get the dragon lady or the deaf lady. The deaf one made me shout my personal problems out so that everyone could hear and then berated me just as loud. Being young and naive i took the abuse. I lost the will to get a job for a while and actually signed off and went for months with no money living at home with my mum. It took real soul searching to actually pick myself up and apply for everything i possibly could.

I understand they are under pressure and i understand they get grief from the public but if they treated me like crap for a year when i was more than polite to them i would expect no less than the dents on the car bonnet. I am afraid that you will get abusive customers in all walks of life. As hard as it may be, they are paid to provide a service, not snide remarks and disdain. Perhaps i should have jumped on a few car bonnets after the way i was treated. I was not brought up that way though.

I have a good friend who works as a security guard at the job centre local to me so i do know some of the hassle that they have to deal with. Nobody should have to suffer abuse either verbal or physical but to show such a lack of respect towards people who may be depressed and worried about bills and mortgages is equally unacceptable. Not "all" staff are like this but i am only talking from my own experience and everything i say is just my own personal opinion.

You get back what you give out.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. bootneck1

bootneck1 Bit Poster

I agree with this, its not a direct attack on the job centre,but just a small portion, except it effects everyone there. Also i am always polite but they are very arrogant back, sometimes i just sit there thinking '' you have no idea what im capable off, what if i started doing this back, how would i take on the guards'' lol thinking tactical awareness, old habbits die hard.

Certifications: SDH, PONS,AIR BLOWN FIBER SYSTEMS
  8. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

haha, I agree with everything said, I can't understand how regular dole scroungers can stick their head in the air in the morning, I signed on for a few weeks before deciding to not bother because I was frankly ashamed.

And here is another story,

I was 16, my mum was murdered 6 months earlier, bearing in mind me and my mum live in London and I had not seen my dad in years, the job centre lady goes "why are you not at your dads?" haha, what kind of a fu*cking question is that.

The jobcenter is more of a drain on our taxes than the people it supports

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have to agree with the consensus that the job centre is largely filled with poorly trained admin staff, I really think the whole system needs reform, seperate benefits from jobseeking departments, radically simplify the benefits system and reduce handouts.

Respect for serving your country but it should come as no surprise that the government does not have your back.

I once had the audacity to take a call from a recruiter while waiting in line, got blasted with abuse by my adviser for it ! They serve the fecless like the rest of the government, not the jobseekers, think of it as the benefit and abuse office and you'll not go far wrong...

Most real jobs never get within 100 yards of the jobcentre, if they must persist with it they should at least pass a law making placing all jobs at the local job centre mandatory.

Ironically the real spongers seem to get red carpet treatment, must be because they spend so much time there...

"lol thinking tactical awareness, old habbits die hard."

I know what you mean, the ole 'never sit with your back to the door' ! :wink:

10. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I too worked for the Jobcentre during the BA ES merge that gave us the DWP.

I think as with everything, you are going to get the good and the bad. It's all well and good focusing on the bad, but it is also important to remember that anyone that actually has to say 'I'm afraid you aren't entitled to any money' will never be popular, regardless of how nice they have been, even if they are only evaulating your entitlement using the guidelines set out by the government.

Sure, you are always going to get complete numpties in an organisation that does seem to stagnate, but labelling everyone the same when someone has had a bad experience or two is unfair.

I started work there when I was 19, and within 6 months i'd lost count of the ammount of times i'd been threatened with violence when I was the unfortunate person to inform some clients that they weren't entitled to any benefits. The heavy jobcentre client chair that was thrown at my head by someone who couldn't work because he was unhinged, was a particular highlight for me.

Post 911 was a real treat too when we had to search clients on the way into the building....I'd never realised so many people carried knives until then. Which unforunately highlights the risks of being on the wrong end of saying no to someone who doesn't want to be said no to.

So, it is all well and good dismissing people as badly trained admin staff (which I have to admit there are alot), but why is it people never seem to think about the other things that people may have to be dealing with before they see someone?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  11. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

How about demanding reform from their management then ?

Demand all benefits be stopped for violent infringers indefinitely ?

Put knife detectors on the door ?

Carrying a knife is a crime, why wasn't the knife confiscated and why weren't they arrested ?

I was very polite on every visit, advice was worse than useless, their manner was terrible, I quietly claimed my £30 a week which was contributions based, so I had paid it in, I showed my jobseeking book which was overflowing on every visit, claimed for a mere 2-3 months yet still got treated badly.

Why not ban benefits for non UK nationals ?

Make it harder to get a social security number.

Simplify the system and make it easier to administer with less staff and paperwork. Why not have a flat rate of jobseekers and scrap housing benefit.

Better yet bring back the debtors prison, or maybe have them picking up littler and doing community projects like in the US.

12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Probably because of the good old Human rights act

Again it wouldn't fit in with the new style of open plan offices that staff were against in the first place.

Cause it is only illegal to carry knives above a certain length, there was a police news story where they gave back all knives that were under 1 inch, I believe.

Can' quote on that as I don't work for them any more.

Again the Human rights act the the Government brought in.

Make it harder to get a social security number.

Staff want a simpler benefit system. Can't comment on the HB as I believe that is done elsewhere.

Not sure if you're being serious here or not, but mabe some sort of apprenticeship that people have to go on gain not only the certs/quals need, but also the experience?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ones a solution that worked in the past, anothers a solution thats working abroad presently, but no they don't fit the current PC mantra which seems to be at the root of a lot of our ills...

Real jobseekers don't carry knives to the job centre, going fishing afterwards were they ? How is that actively looking for work ? Is it just in case an interview turns nasty ? :D

The people my comments were about are not interested in training or jobs, the current system has it far too cosy for them.

I agree we should have more apprenticeships. However apprenticeships and other courses should be there for those that prove they deserve them.

Currently we have systems that are all carrot and no stick...