Job applications

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Oct 9, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im still trying to land that first elusive IT role, i have had IT work in the past as well as my voluntary experience but im just not getting the chance, i suppose is a way of putting it.

So I see 2 jobs that i want to apply for today, how could i go about saying hey look i may not have the experience but i am an extremely hard worker, and will work my arse off to get to where i need to be. Also i only have the my computing degree, and ive not had the money to be able to sit any exams so also how could i work that in

Id like to say this so that i dont come across as desperate. I mean its all good and well watching videos and doing stuff at home, but nothing will ever beat hands on experience no mater how many bits of paper you have behind you.

Thank for any help

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Can you link us to the roles, or are you keeping those a closely guarded secret? Knowing what you're going for would help me tailor the advice more closely :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well er yes Arroyn, its a close guarded secret, which will probably make me sound very selfish indeed ha ha

Heres the job spec so to speak

As an Internet Support Engineer, you will be responsible for acting as the point person for our client's hosted IT services delivery, change management and support. Specifically, you'll ensure all elements are processed and delivered in an effective and timely manner, in line with agreed SLAs.

You'll monitor the availability and performance of installed internet services and provide a focal point for technical support. This will include liaising with the customer and 3rd party suppliers and partners to ensure the effective and efficient resolution of issues and problems.

Additionally, you'll take the lead in processing change management activities including firewall rules, web filtering rules, internet DNS and Office 365.

Your other duties will include:

- Ensuring service desk records and change logs are maintained in order to provide an audit trail
    - Co-ordinating and leading the delivery of 3rd party solutions into customer environments
    - Providing a single point of delivery for SSL certificate requests and renewals
    - Supporting Senior Engineers in the delivery of internet services

To be considered, you must have:

- Previous experience in an IT support role
    - A good understanding of internet technologies

The pay of this is between 16K and 25 k, which is very broad. I have previous exp in an IT role, and a good understanding of internet technologies etc, but like everyone, i am human and still need to learn, plus i need more experience.

So how would i write that in a cover letter perhaps to say to them, hey look i can do certain things, but where i am weak, i will work up to a desired level and also seek out the necessary certification etc. Id like to say this without sounding too desperate though.

Thanks for any help

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Arroryn is correct. If you really like the look of a job you should tailor your application.

Look at what they want and how you can position yourself as the perfect candidate.

If they want AD and you've labbed and taken exams on AD then tell them, etc.

Try and hit as many key points as possible by showing where you have relevant knowledge and experience.

Read between the lines and add any related stuff you can that might clinch the interview.

Have you hosted your own website, developed sits for others, do you have knowledge of SSL certificates or DNS? Are you used to documenting your work and following a process?