job applications and interview preparation?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by G1BB0, Jan 5, 2007.

1. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

Hi all,

well my N+ study is going swimmingly but my current job is now severely pissing me off (manager is being an arse lol) and am sick of permanent nights plus after nearly 12 months I am not learning anything and its just a case of crossing the T's and dotting the i's scenario

I have 1 interview already and only started applying yesterday

some of the applications require I be registered as a company or an umbrella company (I assume this is contracting work after reading up a little)

so do I set one up in advance even if i may end up on paye with someone else?

also the interview on monday they ask for lotus notes, I informed them I pick up software very quickly and am willing to do extra at home if needed to ensure I am upto speed asap. Is this the way to go or will employers disregard someone who 'doesnt have it all' so to speak?

soz for being long winded but if you dont ask you dont get lol

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think they'll still go for you if you don't know Lotus, if you tick all of their other boxes. They hired me for a helpdesk role, despite a black hole with regards to using remote progams.

With regards to the self employment thing, do they categorically state that they want evidence you are self employed? For starting up a 'business', you can offically trade for (I think) 6 months without starting or declaring - mainly because of startup failures (probably).

If you don't have to give them evidence of being self employed, it's incredibly easy to set up as a sole trader if you get the job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No employer worth working for expects you to know everything they put down on the spec sheet, not at a (no offence intended) junior level (i.e. Helpdesk, 1st/2nd line support etc).

What they will do is look at you with regard to the technologies that are most mission-critical to them. If you are good to go on those, then you'll be at a great advantage over someone who may actually know more than you - but isn't as experienced or skilled in their core packages.

In that respect, interviews are a bit of a lottery - but it certainly can't hurt you to show enthusiasm for learning things at home!

With regard to an umbrella company, you will indeed need to register with a company provider if you're contracting - otherwise you won't get paid! Seriously though, there are loads out there, and some of them are good, some are bad. Personally, the best one I have ever used is Lester/Sybersolve (they've probably changed their name cos I haven't contracted for a while). The only one I would steer well clear of is Parasol. I used them once and they were shite - and the Mail Admin at work also said he had no end of grief with them. They sort out all your tax, allowances & gumph for you and take a percentage of your pay as a commission - that might sound like a bit of a cheek, and its true that you could do all this yourself, but trust me - you don't want to do it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

As far as notes is concerned - do they use it for email instead of Exchange or just for shared databases or both?

It can be a bit fiddly to set up but nothing a good instruction document can't fix. I'd say you haven't used it commercially yet but are aware of what it does (shared databases and email) and emphasise your adeptness at picking up new technology.

Ask them what capacity they use it in and if they have the set up procedure documented - if they say 'no' you could suggest that you document it should they offer you the role.

An umbrella company is a way around paying IR35 tax for contractors. You can join them for a comission (for them) or set up your own company and do your own accouts (or get someone else to do it). Which one you do is your call.

How long is the contract? I personally would start with an umbrella company if i got offered the contract then learn about setting up a company and doing the paperwork for the tax man (including IR35) while on the contract then whether it renews or another one turns up switch over. That's just how I'd do it though.

I haven't contracted yet but would like to very much and the way my new job is going might well make the switch very soon.

I wouldn't jump in a set up a company yet because you might find a more suitable permanent role instead - who knows.

Good luck!

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

well I have to say I dont want to go the contracting route but if it gives me better opportunities and experience later on then I am happy to go for it (plus the money aint bad either lol)

no offence taken with regards junior roles, I am on a new career path after 16 years as a chef so obviously have to start somewhere altho from being a manager previously in catering its damn hard being at the bottom again. :blink

what does make me laugh tho is some individuals i see in higher roles who are absolutely useless, I wonder how they manage to get where they are sometimes..

6. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

and I aint getting my hopes up to much as I know what agencies are like

good point with regards Lotus Notes and what they use it for Pete, definitely will be on my list of questions for the interview

I only know roughly what it does but just dloaded a couple of docs so will have a scan thru at work tonight in between dealing with the usual server and network issues, watching films, studying and eating kebab or pizza hehe