Job Agencies and Pre-Referencing

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mad_maxx, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

I had a call from Syntax Recruitement earlier today. They had seen my CV on jobserve and obviously liked my credentials, and want to put me forward for a job they are recruiting for.

When they sent me the information, they had a paragraph in the E-mail stating that "Given the current financial climate, they were now pre-referencing candidates prior to interview".

I don't know about other people on this forum, but I have a good relationship with my employers, and have no intention on jeapordising this without good reason, or the possibility of a firm job offer on the table.

What does everyone else think? I know my employers would not be happy with me if they knew I was actively seeking alternative employment!

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Call their bluff. I've had this with a few recruiters and have usually found it means they aren't the main recruiter for the job.

They're hoping to steal a march on competitors by putting you forward quickly cos they've got refs.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

^^This^^

Either that or they don't have a job vacancy at all and are just CV fishing. if they already have references for you it makes it easier for them to match you up when a job does come along. The further up the food chain you go, the more common pre-referencing gets - if this is a first or second line role then there is absolutely no reason or justification for asking for references before you even go for the job. I smell bull****.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

Unless they want to get details of your current employer knowing that your going to be jumping ship soon and get in there ready to refill the position......

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, avoid!

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would not give a reference prior to attending an interview especially with agencies. To be honest it's bogus as they would end up calling your referee with potential candidates and or if there is any job openings. I have been there and talking from experience, run and tell the agent not to bother to call you again.

Best wishes:) as you'd get a job from a genuine recruiter or employer, just keep plugging away.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Agencies are like dodgy used car salesman. Plain and simple.

At best they probably dont have the contract from the client and are just bidding for the role.

At worst they are just looking for CVs and leads.

Phising for CVs is not uncommon mate.

Dont worry though as jobserve seems to be picking up a little recently.

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Recruitment is bascially a sales job, like all sales jobs they must generate leads. To them a lead is a company looking for bodies, you are just a body. Never give out references before a firm offer. There is no 'fast track' for 'pre-referenced' it's bull%$t !

A company's HR department is responsible for checking references, not the recruiter, as much as they pretend to be providing HR style functions.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  9. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

I agree with this one, I have a mate who runs his own recruitment company and this is one of there favourite tricks, they get your reference details then phone up hassling them to see if there are any vacancies they can fill.
    Sneaky swines!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

they also spread gossip to employers! avoid (if possible!).

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

One job I went for previously asked about a reference just after the interview, but before they would have even have heard back from the place, I just ignored that bit where he asked for a reference, repeatedly :lol:

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+