Job advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jul 4, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK some of you know that ive got myself a 6 week placement in a school over the summer period, which im looking forward too. However i really want a job and one has turned up at the uni i went to. However its more admin but its part time and the wage is 16 grand a year, for 24 hours per week. Which is good, i think anyway, and i know that after a month or so i could be flying in the position., on saying that its not exactly what i want to do, i want to be in network admin, and progress onto security and make a career that way.

This place offers a chance of career progression, although im not sure it comes to where i want to be, but again, the bit about the job comes into play.

If i apply for the job, how would i go about saying, yes i can do the job, (even though i haven't the experience etc), but im only here till i get a job that i really want?}?, surely ill just get no reply ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? :)

Go for the job that will help you move towards being a network admin.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This ^

Thing is most entry level jobs is what you need to get your foot in the door... at the end of the day you can always progress towards what you want to do... Ideally if you feel like you won't get experience you need from this opportunity then go for something else. Honestly nowadays you can start with one position and end up in something completely different.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

24 hours a week for 16k - not bad

I'd apply for it, if it's going to be your first job, it's a foot in the door and will lead onto better things. just because it doesn't have much to do with network administration doesn't mean to say it doesn't help at all.

Don't ever say that, they don't need to know that, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. if you get offered it, you take it, and see how it goes, if that job you want does come up, deal with it then, don't tell them before you accept the job

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Personally, I wouldn't. You don't actually know what life holds in store for you, so unless there is something concrete on the horizon then it's best not to mention it. Having said that, I think most employers assume you are only there until something better turns up anyway - especially in part-time or entry-level positions.

I did take a part-time role once and was up front with them, I told them my priority was to get full-time work and if some came along I was off. They understood and it was all fine, but I wouldn't generally advise that tactic.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just watch out as well, that salary could be pro-rata which means it could be a good chunk less than 16k.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Yeh that happened to me once, wage look good but was worded 15k x 75 or something that was a percentage.

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  8. Llew

Llew Bit Poster

First off, I missed your post saying you had been offered a placement, so I just want to say congratulations on that one, brilliant news for you!

Get in there ZX and don't feel you have to lay out your career plan to your potential employer, the main thing is, while you arethere they will benefit from your experience and everything you bring to the job, you will benefit obviously, from the new experience gained and a nice little salary to boot, who loses out in this scenario?

When you feel the need to move on, your employer can start recruiting, that's what they have to do.

If you employed someone in a similar role, I am sure you would not mind if they eventually sought a better position, thats career advancement ( I think, he says, never actually having had a career to speak of!! )

Main thing is, things are definately looking up for you, and I for one am inspired by your efforts, thank you for sharing them:)
    regards
    Llew

Certifications: none yet
    WIP: self learning until college starts, networks, basic COMPTIA elements, basic web design
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Cheers for the feedback guys.

Just checked and it is pro rata, so now im not too sure about it, i mean in the end i want to be doing network admin, and this is not near that in anyway. I think ill stick to the volunteer work in the school over the summer, get some experience under my belt. As it is at the moment, i can afford to do this,

ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680