JBC Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Knave, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Knave

Knave Bit Poster

HI

As a bit of background my job has recently been made redundant and I have come out of a commercial industry. I have been a computer user for more years than I care to remember and consider myself competent around most pc’s and systems. I have decided to make a career change into PC and network support as it complements other skills and qualification I hold.

Having looked at various training routes have decided to train with JBC Computers Limited of Coventry on their 7 week intensive course.

I am looking for any feedback anyone who has completed training or is currently undertaking the course with JBC Training.

Thanks

Knave

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry to hear about the redundancy :(
    Wishing you all the best with your new venture :thumbleft

What's your training providers URL?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Knave

Knave Bit Poster

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Looks like a professional outfit to me.
    You say you are enrolling on a seven week course. What cert route are you taking the A+, Network +, Securtiy ?
    Hope you don't think I am rude but how much are they charging?
    I see they offer some employment help too.

5. Knave

Knave Bit Poster

Hi

The successful outcome of the course will, initially, gain you,
    (from their information pack ) a Diploma for ICT practitioners in IT System Support and PC Connectivity ( equivalent to Network+ ).

In addition the course covers some of the understanding and knowledge required to obtain Comptia A+, Network+ and the Microsoft Certification in Windows XP and 2003 Servers. This later part is completed by sitting on-line exams and paid for by me at a later stage.

One thing they have made quite clear is that from the end of the course onwards it will be up to me as an individual to work towards and sit these exams. At this stage, I have to say, I think I’ll see what lies ahead as far as what route I am going to take. Although I think Security is perhaps a sensible career course to take.

The course fee for seven weeks is £4999.00 which includes accommodation but no food. The accommodation is your own room with work station etc included.

I am taking the Employment Guarantee course. However, I would stress that it is quite clear that it’s up to me to find a job. For their part they offer as much help, support and advice to achieve this and career development is a big part of the 7 weeks. They do offer ongoing support for at least the next 2 years in terms of career development advice, help and assistance along with other more in depth technical help where needed.

The Guarantee bit is that if you are not in full time employment within a month of finishing the course they will begin to pay back £200.00 per month until you are. Of course you have to take all possible steps to find employment, but I see this as reasonably fair offer. After all I’m not doing this to get my money back from them but to provide myself with a better opportunity to find employment in the industry.

Upto this point all I can say is that since my initial contact with JBC they have been exceptionally professional in dealing with all my enquiries.

As an aside, if you think your board members would gain some benefit or insight on this style of learning I would be more than happy to run a weekly update when I start the course through to conclusion.

Hope this helps.

Knave

6. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Is that their own brand certificate? If you're really new to IT then it looks quite a neat little course to give you a nice foundation...

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I was thinking the same about that Certificate. It's one aspect I thought could be possibly a little dodgy, in that if it's not accredited to a professional body (eg BCS, NCC, CompTIA etc...) then it's not likely to be worth a whole lot. Given that you are spending a large amount of cash with them, it's something to think about.

Hmm, this sounds very open ended. A+, N+, XP & 2003 servers covers a MASSIVE amount of subject matter. I know you said it was clear that the onus was on you to work towards these qualifications, but it sounds to me like they are trying to make out that this course is suitable to allow you to pass all of the above etc... If you isolated each subject listed above, each one could be several weeks study alone (2003 servers more so than any others).

I don't have any experience of this company but I would urge you to look into the above aspects. 5K is a lot of money to spend ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

I was obviously thinking along the same lines as you and deleted a lot of my original post because it sounded too negative. As most of the other training providers seem to charge that kind of money for all in courses I'd, personally, have gone along the lines of choosing one recognised certification route (A+ for example). HOWEVER, with little general IT experience and enough funds I think this course may give a nice foundation... as long as you realise that more money will have to be found for the exam fees and more specific study guides.

While these sorts of in-house certificates won't carry the same weight as Microsoft, CompTIA, et al. they are still better than nothing. It shows the employers that you're willing to learn... and putting the effort in. For an entry level job if someone approached me with this 'diploma' and said they were now working towards an A+ (or whatever) it would put them head and shoulders over a spotty oik with nothing but building his own machine for playing games!

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think they look OK, but I agree with what the others have said.
    My only concern is the employment guarantee bit. They promise to pay you unless you get a job, providing you do your bit.
    I'd check out the small print and see exactly what sort of full time job they're talking about. What sort of pressure would you be under to accept an unsuitable job? What if there's a position available but you would have to re-locate. If you turn it down, where would that leave you?
    Worth finding out about.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. Knave

Knave Bit Poster

Hi all

Many thanks for your replies, thoughts and suggestions. I will look into each of these over the next few days. Next week I will be making a visit to the training centre to look things over and talk to students already on the course. Any extra questions I can gain from here will no doubt be very helpful.

If I can I'll answer all the above with what I know so far.

Probably the best way would be this link to the course content. If you have the time to take a quick look through I would be more than happy to receive any comments you may have.

http://www.jbctraining.co.uk/pdf/EGC.pdf.

Yes it is their cert equivalent. I also think that getting the right foundation is a good thing.

As you can see the course content states the required areas for Comptia+ etc. However, I do realise that this course is giving me a "step in the right direction" as far as taking the final recognised qualifications. I am also currently carrying out some self study on the constituent parts of the course whilst I have the time before the 25th July when the course starts. I am also in the process of gaining more knowledge regarding the recognised certs required by the industry.

As for the employment guarantee, I have to be honest and say this part was something I am not a great fan of. However, during my initial interview they took 5 minutes to explain and break down an IT job advertisement. What the advertiser was actually looking for, what each part of the advertisement actually meant etc. I have to say this opened my eyes somewhat :eek: For me it changed what was relatively double Dutch into plain English.

So if the Job Guarantee part can just provide me with a few small helpful bits of information I will be quite happy. As someone who has worked at a reasonably high level in the commercial world I am well aware of what is needed to gain a new position.

I have no illusions that this maybe a tough time but that comes with the territory when changing careers.

KeithNN thanks for the encouraging comment regarding "willingness to learn". I have also looked at this when employing people in the past.

I agree also 5k is a lot of money. I have decided to use a CDL to fund 80% of the course and with the 2 years grace period this should give me enough time to gain some experience and complete the required examinations.

Once again thanks for the comments from everyone.

Knave

11. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

You're welcome. Personally I think certificates say more about a person than just their knowledge of a subject.

It's all relative, though. The salesman's favourite adage "you're investing in yourself" is not entirely a ploy - you really are doing!!!

12. adnaan

adnaan New Member

Hi, well I am also hoping to start the JBC network and computers systems support course on the 25th July. I have compared JBC with Cerco Training in Nantwich and Justit in London, and as in most situation there are plus and minus points to each company.

The job guarantee is really just marketing ploy. Your going to have to give 110% towards finding a job. With Justit training you have to pass all 5/6 certifications in 12 weeks! before the job guarantee comes into effect. But they do include exams fees etc and a couple of free resits aswell. Course cost £4800. I say, very good value for money. They service a large number of graduates, and on my visit to their premesis the atmosphere was great. Although I very much liked the company and its management there was a number of reasons that stopped me from going with them. The main ones were actual cost of living in London, (I live in Birmingham) to do course, which included a 4-6 weeks work placement, worked out almost as much as the course itself. Passing the certification in 12 weeks, 6 weeks practical and 6 weeks home study was alot to cram in if your fresh, but again they do say that you have upto 18 months to pass all certifications. These were A+ N+ CCNA, Linus+ Windows 2003 server and Windows XP. I also found them to be very flexible.

Cerco training seem to be the opposite. In just 4 weeks you could be working for a large company like Fujitsu or IBM. Their training last 4 weeks and having looked at the course material is somewhat light compared to Justit. But I suppose if you want a job asap then Cerco would be a good choice. For me it was close, I thought that their industry contacts were good, and they only take half the money upfront. Course fees(£3995 inc accomodation at their Nantwich centre only) The other half is released to them once they have found you a proper job. You do get a CCNA(Cerco certified Network associate) certificate I think. I have been told this means something to industry employers etc.. But in the end I thought that the course material did not have enough in it, and at this cost not working towards any certifications was also a minus. No indication was given they would continue to support you with your career thereafter without additional monies. Although they do more expensive course that include support in passing industry recognised certificates etc.over a longer period.

Finally JBC Computers Ltd, kinda in the middle. Quite a bit a course to get thru at least 7 weeks. Working towards certifications, but not actually taking them staright away, they give you upto 2 years. Unfortunately, exams fees not included. And in my case, half a hours drive away, I can be home in the evening to attend to parental responsibilities etc...
    They will further your career prospects by drawing a career plan etc.. which last upto 2 years. You can continue thru appoints and open days use their facilities to further your practical experience and knowledge etc. if you feel you need help. Which for me is possible because of distance and probabaly needed.

Please understand that this is just scratching the surface, and there are no real negatives that you can say about the these 3 companies I have mentioned, it's down to personal preferences, but I believe that I have oulined the differences that mattered to me.

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Quite a first post there Adnaan, and thanks for the input.

Why not stop by the New Members forum and say a proper "hello". It's always good to get to know the person behind the name :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. adnaan

adnaan New Member

Hello, I have recently joined this forum, and have already found some excellent resource material. So a big thankyou for all the links etc...

This is also has been a big decision to change careers. I have a retail management background for over 15 years. I've worked in what I believe to be one of the most exciting industries out there, the Computer and Video games industry.

You might be thinking what an idiot!!!

But there were many reasons for leaving this field. I Believe I have made the right decision. So lets see what the future holds.

Kind regards

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I don't think your silly at all. Everyone has their own reasons for changing career.
    Glad you have found this site a help.
    Good luck on your new venture. :D

16. Knave

Knave Bit Poster

Hi all

Just a quick update. I will also be joining the course on the 25th of July. My CDL came through ok also.

I agree with Adnaan on the points made. I have now taken time to visit JBC in Coventry and look around not only the training facilities but also meet with some of the trainers and view the accomodation.

For me I feel I have made the right choice but I am sure its down to personal preference in the end.

Knave

17. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

And that's all that matters! Good luck with your studies and I'm sure you'll end up certified (in a nice way :oops: ) and pleased with your decision.

18. sukhadaw

sukhadaw New Member

Hi all,

Could you please let me prospects for networking jobs in london and also the training courses for the same
    Cheers,
    Sukh

19. markthedoc

markthedoc Bit Poster

Hi Knave

Now it's nearly a year on, how did you get on with your course with JBC?

Did you go on to find IT work?

All the best

Mark

20. pug206

pug206 New Member

hi,
    has anyone actually attended the 7 week course?
    and if so, was it worth it?
    thanks