Jamesthorntongroup.com testimonials??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by digiboy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry mate, but if you don't have a contract with them, they don't have one with you... you go and work for them, and see how long they keep you.

I am not trying to burst your bubble, and I pray I am wrong... but I would seriously save your money and go self-study.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.

2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would tend to agree with Giddy. If there is no contract then they could finish you after a month and technically then they have fufilled there part in giving you a job even for a short period. It does sound like a con but it's your call. Do a google on them and see what comes up.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. GiddyG

They look like a support company for small, medium and large business.

Judging from the careers page they do offer a guaranteed contract; however, if you're going to work for them, why the hell don't they employee you as a trainee and train you up for free??

4. Hawar

Hawar New Member

I had an interview with the same group yeasterday about a junior system administartor vacancy. They told me that the minimum i need is a MCC qualifications. I wish they'd told me that on the phone. It would have stopped me from going down to london and wasting my time.

They told me they can traine me up for a MCC if i come up with a 1000 pounds. But i didn't understand if I would be working for them at the same time or not.

I started a topic about this but it seems it is still under moderation.

5. michael78

Guaranteed for how long though?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. GiddyG

Oh, I know exactly what you mean... and I still can't understand why you have to pay to be trained by someone who is going to employ you? :dry

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just to add that passing the MCSE isn’t a formality, it can take 2-3 years to get through all the exams in some cases. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yep, me too, they benefit from your training, it should directly benefit their bottom line. In my day people that needed training got low salaries but £2-£4k in training budget per head per year. You should not need to take out a massive loan to secure a job, all this training provider stuff is madness.

I got this the other day :-

Its viral marketing for firebrand training.

Now firebrand seem to do a good job, don't get me wrong, they by all accounts deliver a good service and have won awards, but notice he has built a £9m business in only six years, that probably means the company is make profits of £1m per year. Their turnover we can only guess as it depends on the PE ratio, assuming say a PE of 10 that could mean 10m turnover ?

Another simpler estimate might be 12,000 students at £3,000 each is £36,000,000 over 6 years, average £6,000,000 turnover...

Its your money people ! All it takes is a book, and some hard work ! If you want quality training make sure you get what you are paying for !

Look at it another way, if you lived in Zimbabwe you might not earn much more than £3000 in your entire life, let alone blow it on what could be poor training (from your mentioned providers) as you say you are only doing it for a job guarantee? If you can't decide a good thing to do with your money why not give it to charity ?

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi, just a quick point on this, Microsoft themselves say not to do their exams unless you have had 1 years commerical experience on a decent sized network, they say this as you need not only the theory, but also practical experience, it is no coincidence a lot of the questions put you in the situation, as opposed to just what is x, multichoice type questions.

Also 9 exams in 3 months would be very difficult, and i think the employers would see that as either braindumps, or being a "paper MCSE" which is very dangerous.

Recently we did have a guy come on here claiming hed beat the system (the start from the basics and work up - i mean come on this is the same in pretty much every industry, why would IT be any different), and to be honest i fear for that companies network as the first real problem, thats when experience kicks in, rather than booksmarts.

In all fairness i wish you well in your choice, IT is not easy to get into, but if thats what you want to do, then its worth the use.

But I will give you the following costs

Decent PC - £500 (could be more or less)
    VMware server - 0
    A+ and Network+ books 150
    Microsoft xp or vista book - 80 quid
    Microsoft MCSE core pack - £80-120 (includes trial software for server)
    (these come with 15% off test vouchers by the way)
    Microsoft support site and google - free - use this to improve your research skills, which is one of the most non tech skills an IT tech needs
    Exam fees - 80 a time (ish with vouchers)

So there are all the things you need to become an MCSA, 2kish less and you end up with physical property.
    Id just like to add, you can put all this on your CV, if shows willing to learn, ability to work under no supervision, determination, be self sufficient (ie not need companies to pay for all your training), and i think that these will be valuable in getting your foot in the door.

In fairness id imagine a company like james thornton would be good for someone with 2-3 years experience.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. michael78

I didn't see that bit, an MCSE in 3 months is crazy :blink Unless you have vast experience or are very gifted then It should take about 1 year minimum and thats being generous to do all the exams and retain the knowledge. digiboy you are going to learn sod all mate in doing it in 3 months so I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

It's irrisponsible for training providers to offer such courses to people with no commercial experience in the first place. I would forget about doing the MCSE and start with the A+ and Network+ as this will above anything else give you the knowledge to go on and do the MCSA/MCSE. In IT unless your very lucky there is no fast track into a high paid job. You have to learn to crawl before you walk as the saying goes. It took me 3 years to get to 20k+ and whilst my wage has went up several times since then it was a long hard slog. Jumping in too deep might in the long term hurt your career.

Edit: Oops I might of misread the post is it the training centre that is offering the MCSE in 3 months or self study in 3 months? Either way it's still crackers doing it in that timeframe.

11. digiboy

digiboy Bit Poster

Thanks for all your insightful thoughts mates..

I have now decided not to join with an trainer atleast for sometime for safeplay . Yes MCSE in 3 months is useless....

Which one would be ideal to start with in the microsoft certification by selfstudy? MCP or MCSA or anything else? I am quite knowledgable when it comes to windows xp(my hobbies include modifying it most of the time) but i dont have server or network knowledge but i can absorb quite easily as I am a Electronics and Communication Engineer(atleast on paper) and I have played some basic stuff in the college IT lab....

I started studying for A+ by selfstudy and then WindowsXP with my testout video tutorials ...hoping to take the A+ exam at this month end .. :eek:

Certifications: Just started studying
    WIP: A+,MCSE,CCNA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Being able to absorb the material isn't the problem. You could very likely pass the MCSA or MCSE exams with enough study. But neither of those certifications will be helpful to get you an entry-level tech job because those exams deal with things that are not relevant to what an entry-level tech does. And you need experience - not certifications - to do server administration or network administration. Thus, getting the MCSA or MCSE at this stage of your career is pointless. Indeed, they can damage your career - being overcertified can actually prevent you from getting an entry-level job.

Get your A+, then get your Network+, then get your MCDST. And that's as far as you need to go until you get a good bit of IT experience under your belt.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!