I've taken the plunge - Vista Ultimate

Discussion in 'Software' started by onoski, Mar 8, 2009.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have indeed installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my main rig after many fun years of running the stable and reliable Windows XP Pro.

Well got the software from a friend that works for MS for under £25:) and hey wouldn't be able to afford it in £££.

What else can I say as am loving it and it hasn't been slow at all in terms of running it considering am using 2GB of RAM and a AMD Athlon x64 4000+ CPU socket 939. I've also set it up to run at full capacity and so far it's running smoothly with no lags.

However, I don't indeed plab to run any PC games on this machine but in the near future that can change. Lastly, must say it's not as bad as what most people made it out to be in terms of drivers not working or software malfunction etc.

I know I can hear you shouting where have you been as there is talks of Windows 7 being out this year and most likely uses less hardware resource on a PC etc. However, got the beta download the other day and would play with this on a VM environment when time permits.

In closing I'd say if you can get a deal like me or afford it go for it as it's well worth it. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I did the same thing about 3 weeks ago, I got the Vista Ultimate Product (RED) from my school for $65, figured why not go for it, it'll smooth me into Windows 7 when that comes out later this year hopefully. I like it so far, the only problem is my Windows Update utility is broken aparently, other than that it seems to run pretty quickly, it's just a matter of getting used to the new interface and Windows Explorer.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

:blink I would try and fix that ASAP :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well my onboard sound card and pci sound blaster stopped working:(

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Welcome to Vista. Time to update some drivers....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Most certainly, just hope it works:)

7. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Been running Vista Ultimate 64bit for quite a while now and so far shock horror it has not actually crashed once :blink

8. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Ditto ^

I've been running vista for a few months now and I'm glad I switch over. I wasn;t so keen at first. It's very stable in my opinion. Boot and shut down time is so much quicker than before. It's not bad as people make it out to be. Other than a few (minor) annoyances (I hate the thumbnails :twisted:) and apps not not working, overall it's good stuff :)

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Seconded that and don't know why I didn't change over earlier. One thing is for sure am not going back to Win XP, though being a brilliant OS, Vista has swept me off my feets:)

10. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I have been working on fixing it for a week, the problem is the error is something that Microsoft doesn't even have an answer for, they give details of how it might be possible to fix it, which I've tried all of them, then they say you should do a clean install. My problem is I can't at the moment because I need to buy a new DVD burner so I can put my ISO image of vista onto a disk and reformat my drive. My DVD burner has decided to stop working as well. So much fun troubleshooting when your realize your parts are garbage.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I find vista runds pretty smooth as well... I used it at home for a while then switched back to XP for gaming purposes...

I am actually considering putting the os on my work PC.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I am one of the opponent. For spec IT Tech is fine if you know what to switch off and what to choose to run smoothly. And I am finding Vista well too. However I deal with many home users. And for them Vista is just a nightmare.It is completely not user friendly OS. Vista decides itself what to do and it is usualy not what the user want to do. And there is the problem.Not everyone has got time to read forums and tones of instructions.
    But generally Vista is not as bad.It was just a next step to Windows 7 where speed and usability are much better. With security level not worst than Vista.And fortunately Windows 7 brings more friendly and "user free choise" environment.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+