I've got my first IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by clsyorkshire, Dec 9, 2007.

1. clsyorkshire

clsyorkshire Bit Poster

After having searched for a while, I've finally managed to land my first role in IT.

A company I was working for asked if I wanted an interview for an IT position. I took the interview and subsequently started the job last week.

It's an IT helpdesk position that also involves repairing/building PCs and ordering IT related items.

Something that I'm finding a bit frustrating is I've not really had any training as such, I've just been thrown in at the deep end and have had to work things out as I go along. Most of the job I'm fine with but I'm finding the helpdesk part of it a bit difficult. I've been expected to help out branch staff with their IT problems and I don't even know how the company's systems work myself yet as I've not been shown properly.

Some of the IT calls I've been able to help with but quite a few I've gotten stuck and had to put the calls through to one of the other two IT guys. I find this a little bit annoying as I'd like to be able to help these people myself without having to rely on the other IT staff to dig me out. But then again the company knew what they were getting when they hired me, somebody with no IT experience and no helpdesk experience. So they should expect it will take me a little while to get the hang of everything. :) I just don't want to be a burden on the other two IT guys.

Certifications: AS IT, AVCE IT
    WIP: A+
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

First of all - congratulations on making that first step - some say its the hardest, so well done!

It seems inherant in companies these days to want to not train their staff - well, it is in my company too :(

Apart from trial and error - and picking things up as you go along - the only other thing you can do is highlight this with your manager. They're not just their to discipline you when you've done something wrong, they should be there also to assist you in your training, learning and development (at least thats what I've done in the past when I've been a manager!)

You're only a week in, no-one expects you to know everything especially in a 1st line, and what I would expect to be, an entry level job.

You've got a choice to make:
    a) leave it a few more weeks, get yourself sorted in the job more and see if you are picking up enough to satisfy yourself/requirements
    b) speak to your boss tomorrow and ask him about additional training, shadowing someone, your worries about not being trained enough.

Unfortunately, we cannot make the decision for you.

Keep at it though - you've started :p

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need more time to get settled in mate so don’t stress. Don’t expect to be able to answer all the calls that come into the helpdesk, if you can then there wouldn’t be much of a challenge! :biggrin

Perhaps ask the IT guys if there is some basic documentation on the network, (IP addresses, server names etc.) as this can make things much easier to troubleshoot problems.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congratulations as this is great news, however don't get too worked up about the systems you're not familar with. Trust me as with determination and time it would become second nature. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Congratulations clsyorkshire on getting the job:cheers as for not knowing things, not being trained - well welcome to the world of IT. There's great advice there given by Derkit, Sparky and onoski:rocks:clap

As for not knowing everything, who does? :blink You'll find a lot of people are in the same position as you are thoughout the world. Dumped in the deep end,with no training. but your employer will know that this is your first week and you can't be expected to know everything...hell i don't think our help desk knows everything and the staff on there have been there for 18 months.:biggrin

Might be an idea when you get some time to write down the problems your having and talk it over with your line manager or if it's about IT post your question here:biggrin8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I think a lot of us can say, "I resemble that remark" with respect to your statement about being in over your head.

My first job in it? Working with a commercial level firewall, writing SQL queries, doing database backups and assorted maintenance, troubleshooting failed database inserts, maintaining an IIS server and watching the logs for breakins, and last but not least, doing desktop and network support for other employees.

My background for it? I had installed Windows 98 a couple of times and changed a few hardware components on my personal PC. I was so far over my head it wasn't funny, but I learned a lot, and mostly had a lot of fun learning. I worked there until the company went under.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

well done on landing your 1st it job.
    a lot of people would say that the hardest part of a career in IT is landing that 1st job!
    i would swap with you in a heartbeat (Ive been looking for six months) so keep at it and you'll do great:biggrin

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well done on getting the job :D Good advice given from the guys above.

It can take a while to get your first job, I gave up after after about a year and only have recently started looking again, don't give up. As its been said getting the first job is the hardest thing you will do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. dominoe

dominoe Nibble Poster

well done, as the others have said its hard to get your first IT job. Im still looking for that golden ticket as well :( although I have now started doing some voluntary work for a small comunity center basicly 12 laptops and a server. Which is all good fun

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MTA
  10. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I'm kind of in a similar position myself. Its my first I.T. job as well and I feel a bit out of my depth at times. Fortunately theres alot of documentation here and the other guy I work with will take time to explain things if i get lost. I'm doing the best i can to train myself on the systems they've got but its a lot of technology I've not come across before. Having fun nonetheless. It can be quite chaotic here at times but today with it being nearly xmas we've barely any users onsite. The helpdesk phone has gone off twice and even then it was something that first line dealt with. You've done well to get your first I.T. position now to get on and prove your capable. They wouldnt have hired if they didnt see something in you. Like myself you just need time to get settled in. Dont get flustered. Not that I have . . . .:oops:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  11. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the job! As others have said, don't be too hard on yourself yet, you're just getting started. The best skill you can show your employers is that you're willing to learn. They took a chance on you with the hope and expectation that at some point you'll grow into a more experienced and qualified technician. They don't (or shouldn't) expect this to happen in one week. Ask your boss if you can help out on some of the builds. That way, you'll get to see the more experienced technicians, which is a great way to learn.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Already some good advice given here. Don't get flustered - solve what you can, get help for what you absolutely have to, but above all, learn as you go along. THAT'S what experience is. THAT'S why experience is valued over everything else. It takes time. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, and we wouldn't have IT jobs, would we?

Hang in there... you'll be fine. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the new job. Yeah, being new isn't always great. People expect you to "just know" for some reason. A lot of places have realistic expectations of a new person and they won't give you a hard time for asking when you need help. In fact, you might get in more trouble if you *don't* ask and try to just bulldoze your way through yourself. I've been in plenty of situations (including my current job) when expectations and information are a bit fuzzy. You may end up in a place where you have to assert yourself and tell "the-powers-that-be" that you need training in certain areas.

Certifications: A+ and Network+