I've finally cracked up waiting to be hired - See this Advert!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Baron210, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Hi you lot,

Am I selling my soul to the devil or what,
    I finally decided to advertise myself for free, having been out of work for Four long years with severe depression, but i;m over the worst of this.
    Out of about 300 jobs i've applied for, I have only scored four interviews (one is due for this Monday coming, Three days time, and a bit beyond my technical skillset at present, but i'm hoping I can gain some cross training on the basic server side).

Here's my advert to volunteer to work for free:-
    [​IMG]

Sad really, but i'm just sat at home doing nothing, and currently getting no experience and on Incapacity Benefit (I hate being unproductive, having been in my last job for a solid 15 years).

Comments welcome (pls visit my website too URL = http://www.atpf23.dsl.pipex.com )
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  2. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Good luck with it mate. Far better to be out there getting experience than stewing at home. Even with a couple of weeks of fresh experience on your CV im sure you will land those all important interviews.

Just keep trying and It will pay off in the end, at least you have taken the positive step of advertising your skillset. As the song says "the only way is up"

Again the best of luck

jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  3. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Good luck with your unique marketing strategy, with those skills your bound to get a few phone calls. Have you tried all the nearby PC shops? A shop near close by offered me work experience whenever I'd like but I'm too busy concentrating on studying for MCSA certification. Oh, and good luck on your interview.

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Have you considered voluntary work? If you do a search on this forum for it, there were a couple of links in the last 2 or 3 months to websites dedicated to helping you find that kind of work. Could be a way to gain experience before moving into a full paying job.

There may be even a way for you to continue to claim some benefit whilst doing volunteer work. Depends on you relationship with your GP, but I seem to remember hearing it can almost be classed as a type of therapy, getting back into light work after a long illness etc...

Either way, maybe worth a look into.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice Modey, and all other comments so far, I will take a look at the links!

All the best - Baron210 :ohmy

6. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Found a good volunteer site (Reach) and have applied to a few local jobs within IT - In desperation (waiting at home still on benefit), I applied to a Transport Supervision Job, and because of experience, I actually got offered it the next day, but I honestly don't feel up to it, especially because I haven't been well for 4 years, and there is going to be plenty of arguments involved in the Driver supervision side of thing's, so reluctantly I turned it down (and the fact that I have spent a lot in terms of personal investment on Cert's),I then applied to yet another helpdesk role (Ideally- I want "hands on" hardware support), and was turned down because the recruiter though i'd only stay 5 mins, but isn't that IT all over, People seem to move on fast once they get into the business!

:rolleyes:

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Baron,

Good luck with the job hunting. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

just wanted to point out something here: you advertise yourself as an MCDST, but as far as i can see you don't actually have that cert.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Baron, I feel for you mate, at the looks of it you have a lot to give and it's a shame that your not getting a break. Personally I think your doing the right thing in offering your time for nothing. That way you can let a company see what you have to offer and hopefully from there they will offer you a paid position. Good luck with it and I hope it works out for you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Not really relevant here, but I've just recieved the new RS Components catalogue,

[​IMG]

Silly really, because I've also got it on a CD, and it's so much easier to find what U need rather than scanning through a 1/2 ton book...

Thanks guys - Baron210... :cry:

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

We got it recently as well.

I'm probably old-fashioned, but I much prefer thumbing through the books to trying to make out diagrams at low-res on the CD!

:biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Yes, we were told that the Cerco Course was the same level as MCDST, but for honesty and accuracies sake, I have changed the ad to

[​IMG]

Many thanks Baron210

:p

(ohh - just realised it still has MCDST - I'm gonna delete and start again)!

Has anyone got any opinions on Proactive Applications or Cold calling???
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

To top it all, I've just had someone reply to my advert volunteering himself to me, which in view of his skillset (An BSc in Computer Science / CCNA / CCNP and 5 years Financial / Trade floor and Government IT work), makes me feel really humbled!

Just heard this:-

Everythings picking up already, and I have an interview arranged for a large Swiss owned Pharmacy company near me for Monday, and a recruiter I did my Cerco course with trying to get me into a role with Fugitsu.