I've calmed down now.

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by thintin, Apr 14, 2006.

1. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

Nope, just Win XP pro SP2

None of them are showing as bridged in the properties boxes.

I have changed the DNS addresses of the main PC to point at the router (i didn't know what to enter for the alt DNS so I just put the same address with the last digit 1 higher!)

I seem to remember some time ago going through a tutorial from bearshare about setting up port forwarding and static IP's. This involved setting static DNS's too. I will hunt down the tutorial and see what else it told me to change.

Certifications: bronze swimming award?
    WIP: silver.
  2. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

i've read through the tutorials on bearshare's site. They dont do anything other than change the IP and DNS addresses from server assigned to static ones identified using ipconfig /all. So not much help there (or blame).

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - don't do that! Leave the alt DNS empty. If it tries to use it either there won't be anything there, or it won't respond!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

I tried to leave it empty and win wouldn't let me close the box. It said it needed an address so I tried using the same one again and it didn't like that so...what should I use?

I've entered the router IP as the wireless PC's DNS and it's working now but the same thing didn't work on the XDA, it still returns a DNS error.

I was going to post a screen shot of my network connections screen to see if you noticed anything unusual but I dont know how to post jpegs.

Attached Files:

5. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive had a similar problem to this, with the same modem and im connected via blueyonder. I was getting the "limited connectivity" message and at other times, just no webpage loading up. It started shortly after downloading one of the xp updates, took me ages to sort. tried everything recomended on other sites. Eventually completely uninstalled my wireless connection AND uninstalled my ethernet card physically as well. Popped it back in the slot reinstalled everything and bingo it worked, and still is to date, I dont know if this was down to reinstalling or just a piece of luck

But i have seen a few people with the same problem with this modem, and seemingly with sp2

im not a network genius though, and im positive i was just having a good day when it reconnected :dry

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You have something non-standard in your setup it would seem. I have no problems putting just one DNS server IP address in the boxes and closing the panel.

As I know nothing about the XDA I'll leave that for someone else to comment on specifics. But the general method will be the same as for the other PC.

Looking at that screen shot it shows an 'Internet Gateway' and a VPN set up. As I have no practical experience with those, and don't know how they affect the overall setup I can't offer much more in the way of advice. Unless they are vital parts of your setup you might try getting rid of them temporarily to see if things become a bit more 'standard'.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

Thanks for all your help Harry. The VPN is how I access my server at the office, it's a standard windows VPN tunnel. The gateway? I've no idea, I assume under 'normal circumstsnces' it shouldn't be there? I'll start a new thread about this and see if anyone else can help.

Thanks once again Harry, even though we haven't completely resolved the issue i'm certainly a lot closer because of your help. Cheers.

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Just a quick thought here, but why don't you go into your router config and turn off the dhcp. Then set the ip and dns settings all to static settings and see if this makes a difference.

You can set the router ip as the first dns address and the primary dns server ip from your provider as the alt ip setting.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

I may just do that, thanks.

BTW The gateway setting mentioned earlier was something to do with ICS. The service wasn't running but some of it's assistants were.

It' s been a while since I washed my hdd and did a clean instal of win. Maybe I should and then all of this DNS nonsence will stop, it's just such a daunting task.

Does anyone have any experience of using 'files & settings transfer wizard', thought I might give it a go...

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Don't know about anyone else, but I've found it to be slow, cumbersome and it produces very poor results. IMO, you're better off manually backing up your docs and profile to another hard drive or a CD.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  11. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

I'd be worried about missing something and not finding out till it was too late, then I'd be buggered! Does anyone know of a third party app to transfer files and settings? (I'll start a new thread about this too)

12. Baba O'Riley

You can copy your profile by logging on with a different account (must be an admin), right-click my computer, select Properties | Advanced | User Profile Settings. There will be an option to copy user accounts. The only problem is, you can only use this method to copy to a hard drive, not CD.

You could use a backup program but with any method you use, you risk copying whatever file is corrupted/configured incorrectly. You might be better off just saving your docs and things like bookmarks etc manually, and applying all your settings anew after a fresh install.

13. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

OK. Does the user profile include desktop, file and other user settings?

14. Baba O'Riley

Yes. It is everything in the folder Documents and Settings/[username], Application Settings, documents, user.dat, all the gubbins.