Its not an easy life in IT

Discussion in 'A+' started by SN0WMAN, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SN0WMAN

SN0WMAN Bit Poster

Spotted this and thought it would be worth posting to anyone thinking of an IT carreer.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Artic.../ITprofessionalsworkthemostunpaidovertime.htm

Certifications: none
    WIP: A+ then maybe mcp + msce
  2. Liqua

Liqua Bit Poster

I think it really depends upon the company you work for.

Mine, for instance, pays overtime to IT staff and is the only department in the whole company that gets this - everyone else is on a salary and they are "expected" to work until the job is finished.

Mind you - IT is the only department here that gets called up at 3am in the morning to be told the air con just failed and you need to get there before the servers melt! :eek:

Certifications: CCNA, SND, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Managers rarely get paid overtime, it is expected that they are productive beyond the call of duty.

Cocktail or coffee, how poncy. Give me a beer anytime :berrr

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

Spoken like a true Aussie [​IMG]:

I'm not sure of the nationaility of the author but my following opinion is from a UK perspective. I imagine the cocktail and coffee quote is due to the fact that most IT jobs appear to be "down south" as we say here in Blighty. This seems to be verified by the fact that every time I search for IT jobs on the numerous job websites, most of the positions are at the very least south of Birmingham [​IMG]

So as a roughneck "Grim up north" Mancunian I believe this 'cocktail and coffe' quip to be entirely accurate as it relates to all those 'southern poncers'. You can't blame them though. From my time spent in the leafy suburbs of Harrow, there are no proper pubs down south, only cafe bars [​IMG]

WIP: A+, N+
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The company I used to work for could be bad in this regard (unpaid overtime) especially when the old boss was running things. Then a new boss came along and when I was *asked* not told to work a Saturday, I was given an extra day's paid holiday for it. I was genuinely shocked. :)

The new place I work seem pretty good I must say. It's for a big high school (I work with WagnerK who also frequents these forums). Our manager is quite insistent and tell's us to go home by 4pm at the latest.

If we work any significant extra hours, we note them down and can take off time in leiu as and when needed. We do tend to have working lunches, but we make up for that in school holdays by working 9am-3pm, which is nice hours in my book. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL - I may be an Aussie now but for the first 45 years of my life I was one of those 'southern poncers' you mentioned :dry

I hail from Croydon Surrey and I have to disagree with your remark about proper pubs. There are proper pubs around but you would need an experienced guide like me to locate them. Of course they have to also be in close proximity to a decent curry house :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It seems to depend on the company. Mine doesn't pay overtime except to particular people.
    On the other hand, if you have to put in extra hours because of a major problem that wasn't your fault they are quite happy to let you have time off to balance it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. darrenecm

darrenecm Bit Poster

Lol...I excel at putting my foot in it [​IMG]

I saw nuthin but cafe bars and as for curries, well I'm a curry wimp. No wonder I didn't like my time in the Big Smoke [​IMG]

WIP: A+, N+
  9. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Hi All, :D

I'm quite used working some unpaid service time, having worked through my lunch-breaks to help out for the Royal Mail (in a busy Traffic Office / Admin type work, where I learn't load's about the User side of PC's),
    I don't think i'd mind to much to put the odd hour or five in doing something I really enjoy.
    Having recently completed a Cerco Course in London for "Hands on Desktop Field Support", I am now getting quite a bit of interest in the online job recruitment market,due in large part to having totally re-formatted my CV, but although i'm aiming at an entry level 1st time job, I'm also getting some interest in placing me with some Server-Side work (basic config and troubleshooting), which I fear may be beyond me.
    What do you guy's think, should I enlarge slightly on the truth and take the interviews, and If sucessful "muck through on what I know" (26 years Or be honest, and stay sitting at home waiting for an entry level role.
    The only thing that bothers me somewhat is potentially letting my new employer down, Has anyone had a similar experience???

Thanks Baron210 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  10. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

error

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  11. GW

GW Byte Poster

Got a new manager for my group not to long ago and due to the fact that I had to take a couple days off this last week because my mom was rushed to the hospital (doing better now, but in a nursing home); the Ops person who normally works opposite of me on the weekends took those two shifts and the new manager worked opposite me for the weekend.

Before he left tonight he was complaining that he has worked a total of 21 hours in the last three days, I shut him up when I pointed out that I'm scheduled to work 32 hours for the same three days and I had to come in early on Friday night (by two hours); because he wanted to go home and he was late coming in the last two days to take over for me so I could get a few hours of sleep.

Considering that he is getting paid almost double what I am I don't think he should be complaining about having to work a few extra hours in a week considering the people under him work over 50 hours each a week on salery.

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA