Its been a week since my interview

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by bazzawood30, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Its been a week since my interview, I have not had any contact from the company. At what point should i call them? or should i just wait and hope no news is good news.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

bazza, did they give you a time frame indication with regards to the usual "we'll let you know". Or was this through an agency?

If I'm honest, all of my IT job offers have come the very next day after the interview...well the council one was the same day within hours of the interview.

If I were you I'd move on to the next one as a week is a long time to wait!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

On the other side, you could call them just to show your interest. There isn't any harm and at least your mind will be put at rest if they found someone else.

Additionally, you could ask if there was any improvements recommended from the interview for the future. You might just find they found someone with more qualifications or experience, if thats the case you can move on and keep applying for more jobs.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

A week is a long time, but I've seen it take longer for a company to decide. It's possible that they're still working out the details of who they're looking for or exactly what they will expect out of the position. I know someone who interviewed with a company and the company really wasn't sure what they wanted a person in the new position to do.

Unless they gave you a specific timeline, I don't think it would hurt to follow up with an e-mail or a phone call to let them know that you're still interested in the position.

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

For future reference, I always ask at an interview when they expect to make a decision. You always have an opportunity to ask questions, use it wisely.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Seems like a proper "red pill or blue pill" scenario here bazza! LOL!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I know they were interviewing for a number of different positions over 2 days, they did say they would let me know, i think they said this week meaning the week thats just finished but my mind is now playing tricks on me and i can not be 100% sure they may have said next couple of weeks. It was not through an agency i have had a few meetings prior to interview with the network team and was invited to interview on the strength of those. I know there is a couple of months before the post needs to be filled its due to an expansion.

8. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Did you send a thank you e-mail or letter after the interview? If not maybe this is a good opportunity to send a thank you letter/email and word it in such a way as to reiterate your continued interest and to hopefully spur them on to let you know if it has been filled already and they are just being lazy and unprofessional by not letting you know anything. If they are hiring for a number of positions at the same time and they interviewed a number of candidates i could certainly see it taking longer than a week to make all the decisions and notify all candidates. of course it's always good idea to keep looking until you get a job offer and decide to take it.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Definitely time to send a follow up/I'm still interested mail.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

I sent an e-mail a day after my last interview and received a confirmation a few hours later with contract outlined in a reply.

I don't think it's desperate it's showing a real desire for a job, I was really excited by the job (still am).

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  11. bob_s

bob_s New Member

Its always worthwhile getting in touch. I know I have always asked for feedback for the posts I was unsuccessful in applying for. The better companies were able to offer some constructive comments.

I always ask at the end of an interview for the expected time for notice and if they will offer feedback.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITILv3-F, Prince2-F,
    WIP: CISMP, MSc, MCP, MCSE
  12. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I sent a follow up email last Monday and tried calling my point of contact on Friday but had no joy with either. Going to make more enquires on Monday

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Would have to agree. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I called them today, I did not get the job :cry: they will send feed back soon.

15. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

sorry to hear it mate

I wouldn't wait for feedback, if they didn't bother to call you they won't send any feedback

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  16. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Not to worry mate, keep applying, your luck will change. Persistence is the key

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs