It's ALIVEEEEEE!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Qs, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hah. It's working again... man what a learning experience.

I took a very large digression but I think it's worth it...

The task at the end of Chapter 1/2 asks you to remotely manage another computers settings through MMC (using the Connect To function)

Obviously within Virtual Machines it isn't as simple as that (as I've restricted network connections to local only)

My afternoon has gone something like this:-

• Create a Server 2003 (server01) and an XP (xp01) virtual machine
    • Enable DHCP and AD on server01
    • Enable DNS on server01
    • Break DNS on server01 by messing with too many settings and not know what I'm doing
    • Try and get xp01 to join to the domain and fail miserably
    • Get really confused when xp01 can ping server01 but not the other way around
    • Fix DNS!
    • Join xp01 to the domain
    • Dance
    • Figure the ping issue is down to firewall settings on xp01, but don't understand why group policy isn't applying successfully
    • Realise that I'm setting policy on the server and not the client because I clicked the wrong + box.
    • *facepalm*
    • Change defaul group policy and it still doesn't apply to xp01
    • Think 'screw this', create a new OU, apply a new GPO to it... and it worked!

So in order to do a simple task I've had to run around like a mad-man, but hey.. I've learnt a lot. lol

Servers are fun...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Breaking things accidentally is a *great* way to learn. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!