ITIL

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mr.Cheeks, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

My work place are set on getting peeps up to ITIL standard and will be paying for the exams... how hard exactly is this ITIL thing?

i weren't too sure whether i should fully complete my studies for mcdst or start ITIL after i do one of the exams?

2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

You find there are a lot of UK firms out there that believe ITIL is better than certs such as A+.

MY IT manager wants me to go a this course as well, it's backed by the government and is ISO 20000 is the new international IT Service Management standard

It says its world wide, but the feedback of ITIL being reconised world wide was limited.

Criticisms of ITIL

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Did the foundation last year, am doing one of the middle-tier ones this year.

Its a bunch of old shite to be honest - just another thing invented by middle mansgers with no technical skills to justify their place in the workplace.

Unfortunately, the fact that the course is sooooo poxy boring means the exam is actually relatively hard. I passed with a 32 out of 40, I think the pass mark is 28 or something.

It won't mean owt to your career at the foundation level, but most employers seem to require it nowadays for any third line jobs, and if you're looking to move into management, you'll DEFINITELY need it - and might have an advantage if you get the middle-tier or high-level ones.

Good luck keeping your eyes open - take some matchsticks to prop your eyelids up...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Cheeks when you get a chance have a look at this thread and the replies about ITIL

ITIL - What Next?

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Zeb does your Company pay for this course??

Or are pay out of your own pocket? If so How much are these courses??

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

The company pays.

I'll be goddamned if I'll pay for some shite that means nothing to me and woould only assist me if I wanted to go in a management direction.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

ITIL is pretty useful to anyone really it just depends how you apply the gained knowledge
    our whole consultancy arm is being put through it at the moment, for us its useful as it means we have a common understanding of a framework implemented by our clients, but for me personally its a softskill important to understand in the architecture world (in fact they have already asked questions about it on MCA review boards)
    understanding that aspect of the job has its merits even if you dont go into management, but especially if you do!

As Zeb says, its a soft skill and not our core bread and butter skill set so its likely to be a little challanging, hard is not the word i would use to describe it though! :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Thanks everyone....

I might just complete the m$ exams and then think about...

9. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

My company are set on getting all of their employees ITIL certified to at least foundation level.
    I just completed the foundation course last month, and to be honest it was one of the most boring courses, however it was useful to know some of the things outlined in the framework.

its definately worth having on your CV.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Now i've decided!

Gonna do ITIL first, then complete mcdst... originally it was the other way round, but the company will some funding the exams in 3 months time, so i'll rather get booked in now...

11. johnripley

johnripley New Member

Well, for me, the general data protection regulation works. It helped in data protection, the transfer of that data and privacy matters.

12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

GDPR and ITIL are two very different things...

GDPR is a regulation that has to be adhered to, ITIL is a framework that you can work to..

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security